Windows 7 Expiration issues

dryfire

I have Windows 7 RC 64-bit Ultimate installed using the product key supplied. I believe it expires June 2010
I also downloaded and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit that did not require a key for activation, and I believe it expires in 90 days, and cannot be upgraded.
Queation? Are these the same systems? They both say evaluation copy build 7100.
Will the RC install upgrade to a purchase version when available?

TIA,
Jim

I have Windows 7 RC 64-bit Ultimate installed using the product key supplied. I believe it expires June 2010
I also downloaded and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit that did not require a key for activation, and I believe it expires in 90 days, and cannot be upgraded.

TIA,
Jim

The "90 day" version sounds like the trial of Win7 Enterprise. It should be build 7600, although the watermark (lower right corner of the display) doesn't show a build number. I'm unaware of any differences between Ultimate and Enterprise, aside from licensing.

Neither the RC nor the evaluation Enterprise version are supposed to be upgradable. I vaguely recall reading of a hack that permits the RC to be upgraded. (I think it was the same modification of the installer that permitted the RC to be installed as an upgarde over the original public beta, which was build 7000.)

TIA,
Jim

It sounds like you downloaded the same thing twice.. And you entered the product key during one of the installations and didn't during the other.. ;) The end result of not entering a product key during the installation process is a 90 day "trial period".. If you manually enter the RC product key in the second installation and activate it, it should extend the "trial period" to June 2010 just like the other one.. :)

This is assuming that both are in fact the RC.. Which is what it sounds like if they are both saying "Build 7100" in the watermark..

Windows 7 Validation

Guys,

I would like to request you to please help me me telling me one thing regarding the validation period of windows 7.

I have done a clean install of win7 RC n my Pc and i also have used the key to activate it at the time of installation.

There is a watermark in the bottom right cornor of my desktop saying "Evaluation Copy. Build 7100"

I want to know that is my window only valid upto this september 09, or its till jan 2010?

And what do i need to do to extend the validation period upto jan 2010 if its not already valid till that period.

Guys,

I would like to request you to please help me me telling me one thing regarding the validation period of windows 7.

I have done a clean install of win7 RC n my Pc and i also have used the key to activate it at the time of installation.

There is a watermark in the bottom right cornor of my desktop saying "Evaluation Copy. Build 7100"

I want to know that is my window only valid upto this september 09, or its till jan 2010?

And what do i need to do to extend the validation period upto jan 2010 if its not already valid till that period.

If you have your RC (build 7100) installed and activated not later than Oct 21, 2009 (which you do have), it will be valid until June 2010. You will not be able to do a NEW installation of the RC version after the Oct 22 general availability date, but you will be able to continue using your previously installed RC.

Back