Windows 7 Explorer Crashing

TrickyD

Hi,

My current issue is Windows Explorer crashing and restarting whenever I scroll down through a library such as pictures or music, and this also happens in the recycle bin if there are a lot of files.

The pictures library has thumbnails displayed as large icons, and if I change this to list then explorer crashes again.

The laptop in question (Asus x53e, I5 SandyBridge, 6Gb, 750Gb) is running Windows 7 SP1, and is only two weeks old. I'm still in the process of transferring files from my old laptop running Vista.

To the new laptop I have installed AVG2012 free, and Office 2010 Pro Plus before any other use, and recently loaded Mozilla Firefox.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Did this happen originally or at some point during the file transfer? I assume the unit was new and preloaded.

Are you showing errors in Event Viewer for the Explorer crashes?

Can you try turning off the real time protection on AVG?

Any chance it is related to a mouse or touchpad driver?

You might pick one area where this happens and move all the file out. If it doesn't crash when opened, you could start putting certain types of files back in the folder. Remember Library folders hold locations, not the actual folders, but items within the folder can be manipulated normally.

As far as Recycle bin, can you empty it?

There are no errors showing in the Event Viewer.

Disabling AVG does not change the crashing.

The pointing device drivers do not change the crashing.

I have just performed a clean boot, and the problem still exists.

I have over 1000 photos in a file which I moved to data D drive. These are the same photos that appear from C drive in the library. I opened the file and scrolled down, and same result as before both with scrolling and changing to file list or details, and then scrolling through the list. It does not matter if I use the mouse wheel, pad, or left click and move the scroll bar, and the speed that I scroll through the files at slow or fast. The error box just appears and says the Windows Explorer has stopped working, and then Windows Explorer is restarting.

The same thing is still happening with music and recycle bin.

It is strange because I can click on a photo and view all photos individually in the photo viewer as normal.

Aaarrrgghh. I just want to be able to scroll down and find photos I want to view there and then... or music...

***UPDATE***

I have just opened Windows Live Photo Gallery which displays all the same photos in the album, and I can scroll through them all no problem.

The problem also occurs when viewing the file list on an SD card.

Last edited:
I don't run any Windows Live applications. But are you syncing the files online, and if so are there any options to stop doing that?

No, not syncing files online. Certainly not if it is happening in the recycle bin also?

It just seems like explorer cannot keep up with the scrolling or displayed data(?), but then it makes no odds if I scroll fast or slow.

Just checked the even log properly after a crash a few minutes ago. Here's what I found:

!Error: Application error

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7c8f9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000532d0
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

Information:

Fault bucket 32430540, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: explorer.exe
P2: 6.1.7601.17567
P3: 4d672ee4
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 6.1.7601.17514
P6: 4ce7c8f9
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000000532d0
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7188.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_explorer.exe_5aa5e6a8b8c4fa96d7d899d32d77f6552cb793db_0f05868e

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 13776487-3c7b-11e1-ab5c-5404a61dbdc9

Information:

The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted.

Help!!!

Click the start orb and then computer
From the menu bar (if not present strike the Alt key on your keyboard to evoke the menu bar) select tools->folder option
Select the view tab
First check box under Files and Folder section check the box that says "Always show icons, never thumbnails.
OK your way back out of there and see if that helps.
Regards
Randy

Sorry that didn't work. Try rebuilding icon cache use this method:
Forum FAQ:How to rebuild icon cache
but before you reboot
Also use Disk Clean up to clean up thumbnails as well.
Start Orb-> all programs->system tools-> Disk clean up
make sure to check the box that says Thumbnails
Regards
Randy

Could you run the built-in System File Checker please?
Start Orb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click and choose run as administrator)
type
sfc /scannow
See what that produces if anything.
Randy

OK, it is even doing this in Safe Mode...!!!

Anyone think it may be a RAM issue?

I've run the memory diagnostic tool twice now and the laptop just displays a black screen and does not restart until I press the physical on/off button.

Thanks

I would expect more and even different issues if it was memory. Maybe even a BSOD or two to go by. But;
For your peace of mind if you would like to test the memory, independent of the Operating system.
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Could you run the built-in System File Checker please?
Start Orb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click and choose run as administrator)
type
sfc /scannow
See what that produces if anything.
Randy

I ran the command prompt and:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS log.

What am I looking for in the CBS log? I've noticed the dates at the top start on 6/1/11 and finish at the end of the scan 20 mins ago.

There is a member on here that has a particular skill at reading, interpreting and deciphering those CBS Log entries. I'll see if I can get his attention and see if he would be willing to have a look. He'll likely need to see a sampling of the last few days or so which you can probably copy and paste into notepad and attach to your next post. But perhaps I'll let Saltgrass make a recommendation as to how to proceed regarding those log files.

Checking the results is fairly easy using the following reference. After you run the findstr command, you can attach the text file directly or zip it and attach. Since the SFC entries are repeated for each run of SFC, if you have run it several times, try to remove the duplicated entries prior to posting, by probably date and time.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

The final result will be a list of one or more system files that can not be replaced because of some error between two or more copies of the file. You will need a copy of the specified files to replace the original ones and the reference tells you how to replace. We can talk about that after we see how many you show as corrupted.

If you can't get the required text file for some reason, just copy the CBS.log to the desktop and zip and attach. It is too large to just attach. But the SFC runs and at or near the end there will be a list of files that cannot be repaired, and the link shows the context of the log entries.

If you are already having system corruption, memory or something else might be messing you up and you probably need to backup whatever you can.

The event viewer error you posted was not much help. Maybe look for anything else that seems to occur often. If you can't find anything, it may not be reported.

You should also have a message in the Action Center. Does it give any guidance?

I think you have to uninstall Asus Webstorage program.
Workt on my laptop.
Hope for you to

Oh my goodness. I just created an account on this forum just to thank you for posting this. I've been having the scrolling problem in Windows Explorer for months and just couldn't find a fix. So I had actually 'resigned to my fate'. Decided to try this out for the sake of it and voila, it worked! Thanks SO much for this! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You have saved my Windows 7 use experience, 2loneranger. And here I was, preparing to ask my director to send my laptop back to Asus for repair. I owe you a debt of eternal gratitude. I can now work without my Windows Explorer crashing every time I scroll, looking for a file.

Back