Windows 8 Explorer/Directory shortcuts

GTXPlayer

Hi, I'd like to know if there is any way to create extra shortcuts for Win Explorer. I'll explain a little because it's hard to put it in the right context.

By shortcuts I mean using the double '%' sign so that I don't have to use the whole directory path. For example, shortcuts like %AppData% are already in place. I'd just like to know if it's possible to add more.

I know that if this is possible, I'm guessing I'd have to add things to the registry

Thanks.

Not 100% clear on what your asking here... Are you asking how to add more environment variables?

Do you just want to add say %fun% = C:\fun ?

Click Start, Run, type in sysdm.cpl and hit Enter
Go to the Advanced Tab, then click the Environment Variables button

User variables are visible to the current user, system variables (you guessed it) are available system wide.

Yes these are just environment variables. You can also set them USER or SYSTEM wide from the command prompt with the setx tool. Type setx /? for the syntax.

Yeah, thanks for reply's. It looks like I was trying to add more/new Env Variables to my PC. I decided I wanted them to be available to all users too. However... I have a problem;

They don't seem to work, even after restart. I have this variable;

Variable Value
%WT% D:\WarThunder

1. An enviroment variable happens now and does not need a re-start but a user or system (be careful you don't remove these) could need restarting... yes... please make sure you have some kind of backup plan before mucking about with system ones mate.
2. If you have got any type of anti-virus running that could perhaps be in the way?
3. Also stay away from "C:\ windows" and "C:\ program files" variables

Back