Windows 7 Explorer.exe Crashing

Cotswold

Hi people :p

I've had a quick browse of the forum and haven't found any similar threads, but do link me if there are any.

Basically since about 4 days ago, Windows Explorer has started crashing every 5 minutes, (Event Viewer shows it happening around 10 times an hour). The taskbar will be unresponsive and a double click will bring up "Windows Explorer is not responding" and I choose to restart. Then that gives me 5-ish minutes of normal use before it occurs again.

I've System Restored to before my last Windows Update (01/01/2010) and it's still happening.

What programs can I run to try and establish what the problem is? I'm about to run Spybot to see if anything dodgy comes up.

Help much appreciated.

;)

Hi people :p

I've had a quick browse of the forum and haven't found any similar threads, but do link me if there are any.

Basically since about 4 days ago, Windows Explorer has started crashing every 5 minutes, (Event Viewer shows it happening around 10 times an hour). The taskbar will be unresponsive and a double click will bring up "Windows Explorer is not responding" and I choose to restart. Then that gives me 5-ish minutes of normal use before it occurs again.

I've System Restored to before my last Windows Update (01/01/2010) and it's still happening.

What programs can I run to try and establish what the problem is? I'm about to run Spybot to see if anything dodgy comes up.

Help much appreciated.

;)

Can't promise a fix but this utility fixed my problem which was identical to yours. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Just remove and add context entries until you find the one that is causing you problems.

Go TO Start > Run, and type msconfig. Uncheck all entries except for your anti-virus software spyware detector, and personal firewall if you have one.

Do you recall making any major changes to the system or did you install any new software?

Please look over the similar threads at the bottom of this page.

Last edited:
Back