Windows 7 Explorer.exe problems

arcticz

I just restarted my computer and now I'm getting these crazy explorer related problems.
Firstly, the programs in my start bar do not appear as bars but more as 'lines'. Mousing over them does not reveal a preview. - I've attached a picture of it
Secondly, again with the explorer crap, mousing over the aeropeek button does not do anything either
Thirdly, explorer-related apps are screwing up too, msn messenger isn't signing in, and yeah, this is getting ridiculous.

I attempted to system restore but lo-and-behold, it's somehow deactivated. Also, my avira antivir icon in my task bar is of a closed umbrella, signalling that the service is not running (as opposed to the open umbrella when it is).

any help would be appreciated, I think i'm gonna have to reinstall windows.

edit: totally forgot, start menu is majorly boned as well, I can't open up 'all programs', nor can I use the search function. Also, where the notepad icon is and the arrow to the right of it is, showing me recent documents, does not do anything when I mouse over it either.

I hate to say it but you might have a a virus whats wierd is how can system restore get disabled has to some kind of malicous program :(

Well I may actually have disabled system restore previously, but that would have been a while ago. hhmmmmmmmmmmmm

Do you have your task bar on the top of your screen? Might try moving to bottom and testing. I remember someone else had a problem similar to this that occurred when they put the task bar up top.

wow, oneextraid, you're right.
I placed my bar down the bottom and SOME of the lines became full fledged bars, while about 6 lines still remained. So now I have 3 programs and 6 'half' programs.
Moving it back up the top preserved the fixed program bars but the lines are still there with my half programs.
Any other suggestions?

try to do a system repair from boot menu by hitting F8 atp the boot screen and going to to system repair

also try this
  1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Last edited:
also uninstall and reinstall your graphics card driver

Last edited:
Okay, my computer is running fine now :) Thanks for all your help! If a moderator could change this thread to [solved] that would be great.

All I ended up was running a chkdsk at boot which picked up some errors, and then my computer stopped displaying those weird symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom