Windows 7 Explorer issues

sacredsoul

This is a long story, but I will shorten it as much as possible.

I own a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional operating system, running i5, 8800 GTS, 4gb ram.
I use Norton 360 as an anti virus, but at one point a few weeks ago, my subscription ran out. During the period between me scrounging up the money to get it again, I failed to notice 360 had automatically shut down my firewall. I got a virus. Long story short, it destroyed my computer, but with malbytes anti malware, norton 360, and some luck, I got my computer back on track. (honestly, the fault was mine.)
Explorer does not work at all, however. I log in to a black screen, and if I manually enter start explorer.exe into cmd or task manager, all that comes up is "My Computer".
To get this to work I ran sfc.exe /scannow, which let me use My computer, but didn't fix my problem.
I'd appriciate it if you smart people can help me with this problem.

It would be interesting to know if your current problems only refer to your current user id or to the system itself. Please check another useraccount on the same system and see if your problem persists or not. If not, you are sure your HKey_current_user is corrupted somewhere in the process.

The problem exists on other accounts also. If it is a registry problem like you say, how do I go about fixing it?

Open registry editor
type regedit into search box and hit enter
navigate to this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
make sure the Shell value is explorer.exe
See attachment.

This has solved my problem. Thank you very much you marvelous person.

Glad to hear that you've managed to resolve your problem. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread. Welcome to the forums and we hope to continue to see you around.

Back
Top Bottom