Windows 7 Explorer not loading

stekelzak

Last week I installed Windows 7, build RC 7100 x86, as a dual boot with Vista. The installation went fine - but after finishing that I only managed to see the start menu just once (the first time after completing the installation). Now I get the blue background with the fish, but no desktop icons or taskbar. ctrl+alt+delete gives a black screen.

Booting in safe mode works fine.

I also tried to start from the dvd and fix the installation, but that didn't have any effect whatsoever. The dvd was burnt with Imgburn on 1x speed.

My specs:
Acer Aspire M5500 - 1E77
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
500 GB HDD (W7 is installed on a blanc, 50GB partition)
2GB DDR II RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

I haven't changed any settings or drivers (exept I bought a new mouse, but the problem existed before that.)

That didn't solve the problem, and Windows Vista didn't work anymore either (black screen on startup). So I performed a system restore.

Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:
Last week I installed Windows 7, build RC 7100 x86, as a dual boot with Vista. The installation went fine - but after finishing that I only managed to see the start menu just once (the first time after completing the installation). Now I get the blue background with the fish, but no desktop icons or taskbar. ctrl+alt+delete gives a black screen.

Booting in safe mode works fine.

I also tried to start from the dvd and fix the installation, but that didn't have any effect whatsoever. The dvd was burnt with Imgburn on 1x speed.

My specs:
Acer Aspire M5500 - 1E77
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
500 GB HDD (W7 is installed on a blanc, 50GB partition)
2GB DDR II RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

I haven't changed any settings or drivers (exept I bought a new mouse, but the problem existed before that.)

I really did not mean to interject myself into an on going troubleshoot with reghakr but just thought of asking whether before installing the Nvidia GeForce driver , did you install the latest intel VGA chipset driver for your Acer Aspire M5500-IE77 from Acer's Support Site for Drivers download?

Thanks guys :) ,

I didn't install any other drivers than the nVidia driver, so after I tried EasyBCD I'll give that a try.

But there's a new problem - I did a fresh install of W7 yesterday with a new copy downloaded from the windows website, I burnt it to a dvd and installed, but now that won't finish. After rebooting to configure, I just get a black screen with Windows 7, RC build 7100 in the bottom right corner. So now I can't boot in safe mode either.

I'll try the options mentioned above first and I'll keep you informed ;)

Thanks guys :) ,

I didn't install any other drivers than the nVidia driver, so after I tried EasyBCD I'll give that a try.

But there's a new problem - I did a fresh install of W7 yesterday with a new copy downloaded from the windows website, I burnt it to a dvd and installed, but now that won't finish. After rebooting to configure, I just get a black screen with Windows 7, RC build 7100 in the bottom right corner. So now I can't boot in safe mode either.

I'll try the options mentioned above first and I'll keep you informed ;)
Please make sure the Downloaded file is not corrupt before burning it into DVD.
Test MD5 hash on the downloaded ISO file to assure a full file download without corruption during download. The MS published MD5 Hash for both 32-bit and 64-bit are as follows:

MD5 for 32-bit Windows 7 RC: 8867C13330F56A93944BCD46DCD73590</SPAN>

MD5 for 64-bit Windows 7 RC: 98341AF35655137966E382C4FEAA282D
A convenient freeware Tool for MD5 check is DigestIT2004. Once installed it appears in Right click Context menu. So you can just Right-click the downloaded ISO file (32-bit or 64-bit) and then click on DigestIT2004 and wait for the check and one of the above two alphanumeric strings confirms flawless download. DigestIT 2004 x32 or x64 can be downloaded from here: 64bit and x64 - digestIT 2004 - 64-bit

File corruption can occur during burn. A good image Burner software I have been using (it has Right- click ContextMenu) is ImgBurn. You can use default Burn options andCheck the box for Verify to make sure the DVD contents are flawless. You can download the latest version from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/
Hope this helps

Back