Windows 7 Explorer Restarting

busydog

On two separate RTM installations, if I right-click on icons often enough (no set number of times) during the course of a session, I get the error message that explorer is restarting. It doesn't usually affect what is running but it is a pain to see the icons disappear and reappear. Is anyone else having this problem and have you found a solution.:confused:

Does it seem to be isolated to the icons on the desktop, in explorer on the c:\ drive, icons in the control panel, or is it random? I was going to test it out but I don't have icons on my desktop...

Does it seem to be isolated to the icons on the desktop, in explorer on the c:\ drive, icons in the control panel, or is it random? I was going to test it out but I don't have icons on my desktop...
It is totally limited to the icons on the desktop.

I have 6 icons on my desktop, both on 33 and 64BIT. I'vee just tried clicking them (up to about ten times each) but had no problems.

On two separate RTM installations, if I right-click on icons often enough (no set number of times) during the course of a session, I get the error message that explorer is restarting. It doesn't usually affect what is running but it is a pain to see the icons disappear and reappear. Is anyone else having this problem and have you found a solution.:confused:

Hi,

Don't suppose you found a solution to this did you, as I have exactly the same problem. The explorer process seems to crash and reset entirely at random. Sometimes I can go for hours without it happening, yet sometimes it will happen within minutes of booting the machine.

It's likely a 'bad' context menu handler that's to blame.

Download ShellExView for 32 or 64bit and run it. There is an article on that page too which should give you the help you need. It's a good thing that's it's happening on two separate installations because then you can narrow it down to the apps that were installed on both instances.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back