Windows 7 External Hard drive not showing on by windows

Sunrise

I have a Maxtor 3200 external hard drive and i have had it working on windows 7 but all of a sudden it has stop showing up on windows explorer, it is there on the Devices & Printers and when i have plug it in i get the ping, so i have tried to load the drivers in but they fail to install.

the light is on and it has its own power supply.

Can anybody help me with this please

I have now got this error "This device cannot start (Code 10)

Last edited:
I have a Maxtor 3200 external hard drive and i have had it working on windows 7 but all of a sudden it has stop showing up on windows explorer, it is there on the Devices & Printers and when i have plug it in i get the ping, so i have tried to load the drivers in but they fail to install.

the light is on and it has its own power supply.

Can anybody help me with this please

I have now got this error "This device cannot start (Code 10)

Hi Sunrise: Does the Maxtor external work on a different Windows7 computer (desktop or laptop) correctly in windows explorer? If it doesn't, it could be that the FAT Table (that's like the Index of the Maxtor hard drive) could be corrupted. There are 2 possibilities to consider. If the Maxtor doesn't work on a different computer, the file corruption could be due to a hard flaw on one of it's platter surfaces, which is usually not correctable and it's time to discard that hard drive. *data recovery is of course recommended before getting rid of it*. The other possibility is that the file corruption is software correctible, meaning that any bad sectors found on the hard drive can be mapped to reserved areas of the hard drive where spare sectors take the place of soft-damaged sectors and keep your hard drive working. If this is the case, you can try opening a command prompt window (from the Start menu-->click on the run box--> and type in "sfc /scannow" command and hit enter. Windows will give you a message telling you it will have to restart your computer to accomplish this repair. Make sure you have your Maxtor external plugged into your computer prior to entering this command. This is like running a super "Checkdisk" command and will try and repair index corruption on both your boot or C: drive on your computer, and any externally connected hard drives (either usb or firewire) as well. Sometimes, cross-linking of files in the external hard drive index (the Maxtor) don't match up with the Index file your boot drive (C: drive) uses and they don't communicate with each other. The above command will attempt to repair this problem. IMPORTANT NOTE: I would make sure you backup all your critical information from your boot drive (C: drive) on the computer you are using to use with your Maxtor external PRIOR to attempting this command. If this command does not fix the problem, then most likely your external is toast, and you should work on doing data recovery to get what you can off of that drive and replace it with a new external and move your data back onto the external. If you are uncomfortable trying this, you may wish to take it to a reputable computer person or computer store where they have A+ certified technicians on staff. They will charge you some money to do this, but they can also tell you for sure whether your Maxtor external is the problem or it's a problem with the Windows7 on your main computer that is having a problem. This route may be for you if you do not have access to a 2nd computer with which to test your Maxtor external. Let me know how it turns out.
BIGBEARJEDI

Back
Top Bottom