Windows 7 External HDD?

Jammiedodger546

Hey guys, I'm new here so please don't be mean if this comes off stupid!

I have made a new partition on my External Hard Drive.

I went into the install, and I get this message when doing a clean install and choosing the partition:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.
This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.
Is there any way to make it work at all? If it helps, the external Hard Drive is:

Western Digital Elements 640GB USB 2.0 External DeskTop Hard Drive.

From my searching (about the External HDD), there are no drivers as it is a "Plug 'n' Play" Hard Drive, so I couldn't "feed" the installer the drivers, if that would make a difference anyway.

Then, for the "This Computer's Hardware may not support booting....." bit, how can I enable it in BIOS? I am using a Dell Inspiron 6400 (US is E1505). If you need any more specs of my Laptop I will try and find them out (but instructions on how to find them would be nice, I'm no PC expert :p)

Thanks,
Jammiedodger546

I believe that windows 7 is to fast to run on through a usb cable. You would be looking like a snail and that is why it isnt working. Either install it in a virtual machine or partition the hard drive in your machine to install it.

Hi, Iroken22. I appreciate your fast and great reply. I only have 80 GB available on my main C: drive, so I can't give too much space away for W7, do you thing 30GB is enough/too much for what I'm going to be doing:

Browsing internet,
Testing products I use to see if they are compatible (once found out they would be uninstalled).
And some general downloading (eg. Acrobat Reader, iTunes ect)

Thanks,
Jammiedodger546
(You can call me Jamie :p)

30 GB is more than enough as long as you store most of your files on the external hard drive and not the internal hard drive. Is your computer able to run Windows VISTA? It may not be the external hard drive at all it may just be the fact from the specs i have seen that the computer cannot run windows 7.

Yep, my laptop can run Vista as it was Dells preferred choice, but I decided against it as it was still buggy. The upgrade advisor says I'm good to go as well.

That's a good point about saving the programs and files on the external HDD, thanks for that - but just to confirm:

I can install 7 on a new partition on my internal HDD
I can download/install files and programs onto my external HDD?

How many GB is Windows 7 (alone, so no additional programs), when it's installed? Just so I know how big to make the Partition.

Thanks again, your a legend.

Jamie

Do you have 40 GB of hard disc space to install Windows 7? Personally I would use it over any other operating system. What Build do you have?

I've downloaded build 6956 if that means anything :).

I'm going to resize my C: HDD (internal) now so I have some allocated space to install 7.

I want to keep XP on here as 7 is still in a pre-beta.

I would allocate 40 gb hard drive to the Windows 7 build and you can always resize that later.

OK - I will give it 35 and see how that goes, I can always resize it if it fails.

Thanks for all the help iroken, your a legend and a half ! :)

Welcome to Windows7forums Jammiedodger546 :)

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!! ;) Iroken22 knows what he's talkin about..

Welcome to Windows7forums Jammiedodger546 :)

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!! ;) Iroken22 knows what he's talkin about..
He sure does! Can I ask a quick question? Does Windows Firewall work properly? Because I've got this pesky little thing in the bottom right hand corner saying:
"Find an anti-virus program online (important)"

Went to download McAfee and it doesn't support 7 :(, are there any that do?

He sure does! Can I ask a quick question? Does Windows Firewall work properly? Because I've got this pesky little thing in the bottom right hand corner saying:

Anyone? All advise is appreciated :)

None of them actually support 7 yet, as it's only in beta. I'd recommend getting Avast! Antivirus, and running it in Windows Vista Compatibility Mode. To do that, download the installer, then right click on the file. Select properties, then the Compatibility tab. Check the first box, and select "Windows Vista RTM". Apply the changes and run the program, then do the same for the executable file that is put in your Program Files/Avast folder.

None of them actually support 7 yet, as it's only in beta. I'd recommend getting Avast! Antivirus, and running it in Windows Vista Compatibility Mode. To do that, download the installer, then right click on the file. Select properties, then the Compatibility tab. Check the first box, and select "Windows Vista RTM". Apply the changes and run the program, then do the same for the executable file that is put in your Program Files/Avast folder.
Thanks - Never heard of Avast! before so I am doing the compatability thing for McAfee.

Thanks again :)

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition also works perfectly on Windows 7 Build 6801 and Build 6956. I didn't have to run it in Windows Vista Compatibility mode either.. But as Kyle said, none actually support Win 7 yet as it is in Pre-Beta/Beta but a few do work.. and some without having to run them in a certain compatibility mode... ;)

As for the Windows Firewall notification, that's just Windows telling you that you SHOULD get an Anti-Virus program.. It's an annoying way to go about that but then again some people wouldn't even think of getting one as they might think Windows has one included within itself..

Hey Guys

Got another quick question.

When the public beta is released, will I be able to upgrade OVER XP? Because I am just using the Dual Boot while it's in Pre-Beta.

Also, do beta testers get any sorta discount on the end release :p?

Why not just do a clean install? You'll get a much better performing OS in the end if done that way.... ;) Not to mention a clean install takes less time then an upgrade....

Back