Windows 7 Fast PC but Explorer view thumbnails slow after New Windows 7 Install

DaveBrock

Extraordinary Member
Hi,
I have a fast PC (Quad core 3 GHz) and have been running XP happily and fast for the last 3 years with no issues. More details on my PC under my profile if required. I have fast disk drives, and a power supply of 1000 watts.

3 weeks ago i installed Windows 7 64 bit as i wanted to run the latest version of Premiere Pro which required 64 bit OS.

2 days ago i connected my camera and downloaded approx 300 photos each of size between 2 and 5 Mb.

I set Folder Options to 'show thumbnails' so i could see the photos.

Sometimes when i went into some sub folders to view files Explorer seemed to hang..... sometimes over 30 minutes and i had to stop the application.

A couple of times, I tried copying some of these folders (which had 30 files of 4 Mb in size) to a new location and it just hung.

I have searched and found many people complaining about Windows 7 and Explorer when Thumbnails are selected to view.... but no definitive solution to all the problems reported.

Surely there is some solution for this? Surely a robust OS such as Windows 7 can handle photos files showing thumbnails at least as good as the older OS XP? And copying a folder of files from one location to another?

Could someone give me some advice on this please?

Thanks in Advance.
Dave

Back