Fast PC but Explorer view thumbnails slow after New Windows 7 Install

Hi,
I have a fast PC (Quad core 3 GHz) and have been running XP happily and fast for the last 3 years with no issues. More details on my PC under my profile if required. I have fast disk drives, and a power supply of 1000 watts.

3 weeks ago i installed Windows 7 64 bit as i wanted to run the latest version of Premiere Pro which required 64 bit OS.

2 days ago i connected my camera and downloaded approx 300 photos each of size between 2 and 5 Mb.

I set Folder Options to 'show thumbnails' so i could see the photos.

Sometimes when i went into some sub folders to view files Explorer seemed to hang..... sometimes over 30 minutes and i had to stop the application.

A couple of times, I tried copying some of these folders (which had 30 files of 4 Mb in size) to a new location and it just hung.

I have searched and found many people complaining about Windows 7 and Explorer when Thumbnails are selected to view.... but no definitive solution to all the problems reported.

Surely there is some solution for this? Surely a robust OS such as Windows 7 can handle photos files showing thumbnails at least as good as the older OS XP? And copying a folder of files from one location to another?

Could someone give me some advice on this please?

Thanks in Advance.
Dave

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.