Windows 7 fax utility

DWFII

I have a pretty new Win 7 pro 64 bit system.

I have set the machine up to use the included fax utility. Usually it works as expected. More often, however, I get a message...as the program is closing...that "the remote fax machine did not respond in time and the call was terminated."

Most of the time (so far, every time) the fax goes through and is received on the other end. But the error message is worrisome and, more importantly, the fax utility will not store the fax in the "sent items" folder.

It has had this problem since nearly the day I received it. I have not added a lot of programs to the system yet. In other words, this is not a cluttered or overloaded system. I run virus software (Microsoft Security Essentials) and occasionally a malware scanner.

Any thoughts?

More than likely the error you are seeing is associated to incompatibility between your fax modem and the receiving fax machine. It would help if you can tell us more about the fax/modem you are using to be able to better help you.

More than likely the error you are seeing is associated to incompatibility between your fax modem and the receiving fax machine. It would help if you can tell us more about the fax/modem you are using to be able to better help you.

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to wonder if anyone would.

The modem is a US Robotics 56K PCI. I took it out of a Win XP system. I am dialing all the same numbers I dialed when the modem was on the XP machine and it never had a problem then.

As I said, currently (on Win 7 pro) the modem is working...dialing, negotiating, and connecting...I am thinking that it is the Windows 7 software (the fax utility) especially since it is the closing and recording of the sent fax that is at issue.

Ii might add that the errant behaviour is the norm and anytime the fax utility closes properly it is rare.

Where did you get the x64 driver for the modem?

I don't believe I did. Although when you're just setting up a new computer , so much is going on you can forget that you downloaded and installed a new driver for a particular device.

I was just thinking that perhaps the driver came from Win 7 and may not be for your specific device. If you can find a Win 7 driver, you might try that.

Just guessing, I have no information that this would be the case.

My issue was resolved by re-creating my PDF file. My first file had pages deleted during scanning and was a concatenation of two separate PDFs. Somehow all this processing created something in the PDF that Win 7 fax did not like, so it hung during transmission and then the transmission timed out.
I created another PDF file simply scanning my printed pages one by one with no other processing, and it went through with no errors.

Back