Windows 7 File encryption problem

stenelaus

I installed the Windows 7 by formatting my C drive(where my xp was installed). On another partition i had (and still have) encrypted files. When i installed Windows 7 i tried to open those encrypted files (those with the green name) but said i don't have the privileges. I tried to decrypt them but it cannot. I really need help because those were very important files. I apreciate any response. Please help!

I installed the Windows 7 by formatting my C drive(where my xp was installed). On another partition i had (and still have) encrypted files. When i installed Windows 7 i tried to open those encrypted files (those with the green name) but said i don't have the privileges. I tried to decrypt them but it cannot. I really need help because those were very important files. I apreciate any response. Please help!

Do you mean you formatted and removed windows Xp to install windows 7? If I am correct then I guess you need a windows xp partiton to decrypt the files .
Hope that helped .

Yeah, i know that method. But what i was asking is: If i install Windows XP on another partition and log in on to Windows XP will i be able to decrypt them by right clicking on the file selecting Properties--> Advanced--> and disable Ecnrypt contents to secure data... Will this work?

I dont know that is the honest answer as I have never used encryption sorry . If that works great other then that I dont know of a work around :( sorry .
From the link I gave you at the very bottom .
*Warning
Do not Delete or Rename a User's account from which will want to Recover the Encrypted Files. You will not be able to de-crypt the files using the steps outlined above.
I am not sure if you can re-install windows xp and still recover the files that is the big question ?

Last edited:
Portable file encrptian

Steganos have a great file encryptian suit of software . Far better then windows xp and you can even encrypt to a cd or dvd . I hope your research into ways of decrypting your hardrive bears fruit but other then that for future reference .
Steganos security suit very good .
Good luck with your problem sorry I could not help further there may be others here that can :)

Oh a free encryptian program nearly forgot !

TrueCrypt Setup 6.1a

Last edited:
Back