Windows 8 File Explorer in Taskbar Shortcuts Keep Disappearing

Definity

Hi this is a simple fix I'm sure. I seem to have lost all the shortcuts I have added to File Explorer icon in the Taskbar. I have put them back but they seem to disappear again after a few hours. Is there a fix for this? Thanks

Solution
Losing shortcuts on the File Explorer icon in the Taskbar can be frustrating, especially if they keep disappearing. This issue might be related to several factors. To address this problem, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:

Reset File Explorer Pinned Items​

1. Unpin The Items: Remove all the shortcuts from the File Explorer icon on the Taskbar.
  2. Reset The Pinned Items: Reset the pinned items in File Explorer to default.
    • Open File Explorer.
    • Navigate to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar.
    • Delete all the shortcuts in this folder.

Check Group Policy Settings​

[]Run Group Policy Editor: Press Win + R, then type...
Losing shortcuts on the File Explorer icon in the Taskbar can be frustrating, especially if they keep disappearing. This issue might be related to several factors. To address this problem, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:

Reset File Explorer Pinned Items​

1. Unpin The Items: Remove all the shortcuts from the File Explorer icon on the Taskbar.
  2. Reset The Pinned Items: Reset the pinned items in File Explorer to default.
    • Open File Explorer.
    • Navigate to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar.
    • Delete all the shortcuts in this folder.

Check Group Policy Settings​

[]Run Group Policy Editor: Press Win + R, then type gpedit.msc and press Enter. []Navigate to the Setting: Go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar. []Check Policies: Ensure that there are no policies set that might control the Taskbar behavior.

Registry Key Check​

[
    ]Open Registry Editor: Press Win + R, then type regedit and press Enter. []Navigate to the Key: Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband. []Check Values: Look for any entries that might be causing the shortcuts to disappear or prevent new shortcuts from being saved.

Check for Windows Updates​

[]Update Windows: Make sure your Windows system is up to date as newer updates might have fixes for Taskbar-related issues.

Create a New User Profile​

[
    ]Create a New User: Temporarily create a new user profile and see if the issue persists there. This will help determine if the problem is specific to your current user profile.

Scan for Malware​

3. Run Antivirus Scan: Perform a full system scan using your preferred antivirus software to ensure there is no malware causing the issue.

Additional Tips​

• Keep the system clean by regularly running disk cleanup and removing unnecessary files.
    • Avoid using third-party taskbar customization tools that might interfere with the default behavior.
    If the issue persists after trying these steps, let me know for further assistance.

Solution
Back