File Sharing Problem

Honorable Member
I am helping a friend set up file and print sharing between his two Vista laptops. The laptops are identical and both are running Vista SP1. I went through the whole file sharing procedure, with no password required. I am sharing the entire C: & D: drives. When laptop #2 tries to log into laptop #1, the user name and password box comes up and I put in the user name & password for laptop #1. It shows both drives and allows them to be opened. But, when laptop #1 tries to access laptop #2, the name & password box comes up, I enter the information and it takes me to the list of shared drives on laptop #2. I double click drive C: and a message pops up saying "Windows cannot access \\laptop #2\c - Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose". When I click Diagnose I get the message "c" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was denied access". Laptop #1 can access the Public folders though that are Laptop #2. I have tried entering the name and password of Laptop #2, Laptop #1 and Everyone with no password. My first question would be why is it requiring a name and password when I have turned off password required. My second question would be why can I use the name and password for Laptop #2 and see the folders, access the public folders but get the error message when I try to access Drive C. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. I am at my wit's end.

Same problem

I'm having the same problem, did you solve it? how? Thanks...

Former Moderator
Hi! I'm not sure now you set things up, so I'm not sure if this will work. When it denys access and brings up a request for name and password try typing the name guest with no password to access the shared folder.

Your welcome to look this over:

Last edited:

I have disable the guest user in my computers, but anyway I already solve the problem: I access to Windows Media Player Library of one computer and that keep me logged in the computer as other user. As soon I remove the library form the WMP I could access and map drive from the other computer. Thank you...

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.