Files on external drive missing since upgrading from Vista to Wondows 7

I had stored Public pictures, music and video on a USB external drive prior to upgrading. Since upgrading last night the folders exist on C drive and on USB drive but they appear empty of files. The drive still seems "full" but I can't get at the files through Win7 (or Vista or XP when I attach the drive to my other computers.)

My user files appear in my documents and settings in Windows 7 all ok, but the" public" ones just have the empty folders. Any ideas anybody?

Dave

Last edited:

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Are you leaving the folder open long enough for the files to show up. It seems prior to showing contents, Win 7 will index them or something that may take some time.

You might try indexing the folders if you haven't already.

Sorted now

Thanks I've sorted the problem, the files were hidden, they'd been stored by Win 7 and saved in a hidden folderon the USB drive. The empty folders were copied from usb drive to pubolic folder on C drive during upgrade. Once I'd "shown hidden files" I could look for them and move them to where they belonged.

Thanks

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.