Windows 7 Firefox 3.5.3

Thanks, just upgraded without a problem.

FF does have issues with windows 7 though... larger memory footprint, gets slower. Lets see if this update may have fixed that issue?

Further to the above here is a page from fudzilla concerning firefox updates:

The Mozilla team just released two new security updates for its popular web browser, Firefox 3.5.3 and Firefox 3.014. The updates are now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux users and fix several security issues as well as stability issues.

Specifically, the new update for Firefox 3.5x fixes crashes with evidence pointing to memory corruption. The team presumes that with enough effort, at least some of these bugs could be exploited to run arbitrary code.

Additionally, the default Windows font used to render the location-bar and other text fields was improperly displaying certain Unicode characters with tall line-height. An attacker could use this vulnerability to prevent a user from seeing the URL of a malicious site.

There are other security concerns addressed which can be found in the Security Advisories release notes.

Firefox 3.0.14 and Firefox 3.5.3 can be downloaded here.

Thanks, just upgraded without a problem.

FF does have issues with windows 7 though... larger memory footprint, gets slower. Lets see if this update may have fixed that issue?

I haven't experienced any major problems with Firefox while using Windows 7.

Link Removed due to 404 Error is a link to the unofficial 64bit builds of FF 3.5.3 and up, built using the Mozilla source code.

Mozilla likely won't release an official 64bit build for quite some time, version 4 at the earliest, and that's unlikely in itself. Remember, no Flash/Silverlight as they don't have 64bit iterations yet but then nor does IE 64bit so what the hey :)

I haven't experienced any major problems with Firefox while using Windows 7.

Maybe its my PC + some plugin. As far as this update is concerned, my FF crashed about 20+ times since I updated... I work with too many tabs at once, maybe that is part of the issue?

FF 3.5, all versions work fine on my Win 7 RC 32 bit machine. Crashes are rare. This was the also case with FF 3.0.x also.

FF 3.5.3 is much faster than earlier versions of Firefox as well. At least while testing with Sunspider benchmark.

SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark

I should note that I have John Haller's Firefox Portable 3.5.3 and several more (eg: Thunderbird and Open Office portable) so called portable programs installed on a large NTFS partition (in a folder I've named "Program Files")
I created to house several large Windows programs as well as other data and all my "Portable Apps".
The advantage of this is I won't need to reinstall these portable programs when I puchase and clean install Win 7 Final.
This also keeps my C: partition small around 9.5 GB.

http://portableapps.com/

Last edited:
Hmm.....that's quite a few...
How much RAM did you say you had?

I guess you could try increasing your pagefile and seeing that helps any?

4GB RAM
It usually slows down and crashes when its taking up around 950+MB of ram.

950MB? I opened 36 tabs and was only using 235MB. Ticked along without a problem!

Is 26 not a tad excessive anyway? Regardless, I tried both 32 and 64bit builds without issue. I'm more concerned about how FF managed to use up 950MB in the first place. Likely one or other addon is conflicting and/or causing a memory leak. Try removing/disabling one at a time and see if you can pinpoint the culprit.

My firefox won't start up immediatly anymore. Now it always asks first if I want it to make changes to the computer. I reinstalled it and now the shortcut has a shield on it. What do I have to do so it works normally again?

Sorry it tooks so long to answer back. Found out I was running it in administrative mode. Problem solved.

Also would like to point out that Firefox 3.7 codename Minefield, is 64-bit. However until flash gets its act together and makes a 64-bit flash plugin, 64 bit browsers aren't too useful.

Under linux x64, x64 bit browser's are wicked, the flash .lso x64 works great, for windows why are they lacking this, dunno.

Back
Top Bottom