FireFox = Instant BSOD on 2 different Comps.

Uffeh

Hi

I have a problem. FireFox on both my laptop and my stationary comp triggers a BSOD instantly when started.
The stationary runs Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 64-bit and the laptop Windows 7 Pro Retail 32-bit, both from MSDNAA.

BSOD: BAD_POOL_HEADER

Firefox version is 3.5.2 I think.

Atleast on the laptop FireFox runs fine on XP.

I have Reinstalled FireFox (not saving anything, clean version) to no avail.

Since it's the same exact Blue screen on both machines I'm ruling out any hardware-problem.

Yesterday everything worked flawlessly on both computers.
7 hours ago FireFox stopped working on my laptop.
It still worked on my stationary until 90 mins ago when I rebooted it and it started there too.

I've searched all harddrives on the laptop with Macbytes' MalwareBytes, SpyBot Search & Destroy and Avast! anti-virus with no results.

My guess is that some update to FireFox/Windows 7 all of a sudden made
this happen, which came into effect when I rebooted.

Anti Virus:
I had the free version of Avas! on both comps but changed to Comodo free version to check if it was Avast doing it but it wasn't.

Event Viewer:
No critical errors, 341 information and some warnings but not related.

Other versions:
I've tried out Minefield with the exact same results.

IE, Opera, and Safari all work.

The shortcuts to FireFox/Minefield turns to white once they've coused a BlueScreen.
Anyone else have this? How could I solve it?

Last edited:

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
Maybe it's one of your extensions. Firefox 3.5.2 is working fine for me so far.

Check the Windows update history and see if there is any update that was installed to both machines around the same time. Un-install of of these updates and see if it helps. Just a thought

Joe S

Excellent Member
My Firefox works fine. Do you use antispyware software?
Joe

Uffeh

Maybe it's one of your extensions. Firefox 3.5.2 is working fine for me so far.
I installed a clean copy of FF, i.e. no extensions.

Check the Windows update history and see if there is any update that was installed to both machines around the same time. Un-install of of these updates and see if it helps. Just a thought
Yeah good idea. It's only a Windows Live Games update the last 3 days though, and that is only on the stationary.

My Firefox works fine. Do you use antispyware software?
Joe
As I've said I've run both a Macbytes' MalwareBytes and a SpyBot Search & Destroy search.

Thx guys but problem is still there.
When I try to start FF today it just says;

Error: Platform version " is not compatilbe with
minVersion >= 1.9.1.2
maxVersion <= 1.9.1.2

I've gone over to Opera in the meantime, will miss the X-marks password sync though.

Joe S

Excellent Member
Did you try installing with your security software off? Sometimes I've had problems in the past with something blocked but no prompt during install then you have a problem program.
Joe

I've had the exact same problem, however mine is with Opera. Brand new installation of the latest Opera build (Opera 10, I believe) and I've been running it fine for about a week now. Today, I had a BSOD and didn't have any clue why it happened, but a few BSODs later and I realized it was Opera at the root of the problem.

I BSOD within about 10 minutes of starting Opera, usually after I load a new page (even just from visiting google).

I thought about switching over to Firefox in the meantime, but it occurred to me that if it's a compatibility issue with Windows 7 it'd be safest to use IE. Now, IE is slower then a red-headed autistic stepchild, so I'm hoping that someone comes up with a solution or figures out what's wrong...

I have installed a copy of Firefox 3.5.2 with the needed extensions (Adblock Plus. Greasemonkey) and it works without a problem (I'm using it right now, and I uninstalled IE8 to put this as my default surfer!)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.