Windows 7 First BSOD, now it won't boot

sakau2007

I've bene using Win7 x64 RC (7100) for several weeks now without any problems.

This morning while renaming some files in Windows Explorer, Explorer locked up, and I couldn't close Firefox either. Couldn't ctrl/alt/del either. As I was about to just reset the system using the power button, I got a blue screen of death. Didn't think too much of it, and my computer started to reboot.

But it never finished. I got to a screen that said something required could not be found (can't remember the exact error message and I am now at work; I will post it when I get home tonight). I went through a couple of suggested steps like an auto-boot fixer that did not work. And I never made a system restore. I'm really not all that concerned about having to reinstall Windows, as that seems to happen once every so often anyways. However, since this is a new build, I haven't gotten all of my key documents backed up. So I've got tons of digital camera archives and work documents in my Users folder on Windows that I am afraid I will lose if I reinstall Windows.

Any suggestions on how to fix this without a clean install? And if not, how to save my data?

Thanks,
Steve

I've bene using Win7 x64 RC (7100) for several weeks now without any problems.

This morning while renaming some files in Windows Explorer, Explorer locked up, and I couldn't close Firefox either. Couldn't ctrl/alt/del either. As I was about to just reset the system using the power button, I got a blue screen of death. Didn't think too much of it, and my computer started to reboot.

But it never finished. I got to a screen that said something required could not be found (can't remember the exact error message and I am now at work; I will post it when I get home tonight). I went through a couple of suggested steps like an auto-boot fixer that did not work. And I never made a system restore. I'm really not all that concerned about having to reinstall Windows, as that seems to happen once every so often anyways. However, since this is a new build, I haven't gotten all of my key documents backed up. So I've got tons of digital camera archives and work documents in my Users folder on Windows that I am afraid I will lose if I reinstall Windows.

Any suggestions on how to fix this without a clean install? And if not, how to save my data?

Thanks,
Steve

I have had a similar event on a couple of occasions and I "fixed" it by unplugging the power cord for a few seconds then replugging and booting normally. (actually, I flipped the power supply switch to "off" but many power supplies do not have a switch on them.) After interrupting power for a few seconds, the computer re-booted and continued to run normally.

edit: I don't know how or why all this happens, I just figured out through trial and error that it worked for whatever my problem was.

Last edited:
I have had a similar event on a couple of occasions and I "fixed" it by unplugging the power cord for a few seconds then replugging and booting normally. (actually, I flipped the power supply switch to "off" but many power supplies do not have a switch on them.) After interrupting power for a few seconds, the computer re-booted and continued to run normally.

edit: I don't know how or why all this happens, I just figured out through trial and error that it worked for whatever my problem was.

I actually did try this (unplugged from wall) and it didn't work. But I will give this another try later.

I don't remember whether the RC had a "repair" option on the installation disc or not. If it does you POSSIBLY could select that option and not lose your saved material. (Possibly, maybe, etc.) Other than these suggestions, I am beyond my level of expertise.

for what it's worth, when i came home last night, i unplugged my system from the wall again, fired it up, and it booted.

if i have more problems, i will let you guys know.

thanks for the suggestions/help!

Its always worth a try unplugging from the mains and letting the computer reset. I have found that it has worked several times.

okay, time to air out more frusturation.

unplugging it from the wall did work a few weeks ago when i had this problem. however, i've since had this problem several more times. today, i came home from work and saw the error. this was odd, because my computer shouldnt have rebooted, but clearly it did (or tried to). unplugging it did not work. i've tried booting it dozens of times, and it won't go.

i'm really at a loss here. i don't understand what the problem is.

and to be quite frank, this solution of turning it off and letting it rest just seems bogus. that's never been an issue, and if something is wrong with the system, turning it off isn't going to fix it. anyone else seen this or having this problem? or have ideas of how to actually fix it?

sakua

If you can boot into safe mode, could you go to c:\windows\minidump, zip the dump file (*.dmp) and upload it for us to debug. If its not in the minidump folder you can search for it *.dmp

Thanks

KJ

i am currently unable to boot into safe mode, but if i can get the sucker to boot up (i was unable to last night or this morning after several dozen tries), i will post it.

here's some more info.

- the automatic repair of a broken boot that is available in windows 7 did not work. it told me it could not be repaired automatically

- i made a system image several days ago; the problem was still occuring occasionally then, but i made a backup while i could. when i attempted to do a restore, it said it was a valid system image, but the disk would have to be formatted to use it, and to please select another image (which i don't have) wtf?! how useless. i backed my system up on a secondary hard drive (E:).

- when i pulled up a command prompt and did a directory listing of C:, it was empty. again, wtf? there should be a windows 7 install out there, lots of documents and data, etc. it also listed the drive as ~70 gigs, when it is a 500GB drive (and only 1 partition).

Your problem seems to be something beyond my level of expertise. The only suggestions that I have left is to suggest that your problem is likely caused by; a) a corrupt install disc, b) A heat related problem (not likely), or c) A hardware problem. Possible poor connection between harddrive and motherboard, improperly seated processor (not likely), defective power supply, motherboard, harddrive, processor, etc.

If you have a corrupt install disc, the corrupt files will be transferred to the system image. If you can create, or borrow, another install disc and save your files only, you could do a format and reinstall and either fix the problem or eliminate the install disc as the problem. You can use your installation key with a borrowed installation disc.

You have to consider that this comes from a very modest level of expertise, but I believe you probably have a hardware problem.

i'm going to see if it's a heat issue first. although i agree this is unlikely. however, my case is an HTPC case and it is in a snug fit. but if the system has been turned off for hours and hours, it should at least boot up.

and i was able to use it for several weeks without any issues at all.

but thank you for the suggestions and i will try them out tonight and report back.

Back