Windows 8 Fix for broken metro apps/Control Panel in Windows 8

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Using registry/disk cleaners (CCleaner, SpeedUpMyPC,etc) in the Windows 8 Developer/Consumer Preview will result in the absence of both the app store and the metro/immersive Control Panel being unavailable in your installation. Luckily, I have found a fix for this problem. But first, a summary of why it happens:

CCleaner (and any other registry cleaners) that scans for invalid shortcuts or application path references will delete three keys required by Windows 8 to display the metro CP, Windows Store and metro Remote Desktop. These keys are as follows:
Please note that in CCleaner, the problem arises when the user scans for invalid Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts from within the cleaning dialog, not the registry scanner.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Store.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Immersive Control Panel.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Immersive RemoteDesktop.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

So when using ANY registry cleaning software, be sure to look through the scan prior to removing keys and UNSELECT these three "invalid" shortcuts. Although, I still don't understand why this made the apps completely inaccessible (via some external links in the normal CP, etc) and quite frankly, I don't care.

To solve the problem, run CMD as an admin and type "sfc /scannow" which will see the files/references are missing and repair them.
Thanks for your help guys, and I hope this solves the problem for others as well!

Mitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Do Not Use CCleaner!

Thanks for that headsup Mitchell. Think I'll give it a go later on today and see if I can figure out how to fix it. After I create an image of my native install and or snap shot of my VM for a safety net. I'd be interested in knowing if affected just your user account or all existing or any new user account that your might have created after the issue.

Thanks for that headsup Mitchell. Think I'll give it a go later on today and see if I can figure out how to fix it. After I create an image of my native install and or snap shot of my VM for a safety net. I'd be interested in knowing if affected just your user account or all existing or any new user account that your might have created after the issue.
all new accounts are also affected :( I just reformatted because I had a few other issues as well but have an idea of how to fix it myself. Tell me when you've got your test environment ready and you can give my idea a try.

Shooting in the dark here. Like all , I am a new user. But.
The App store, as I understand it, is not to be active in the developer preview, so no prob there.

What is the Ccleaner problem, exactly. I did use it fairly swiftly as I wanted a clean image for reinstalls. I am still able to iotally access and alter anything in my user account? Could you indicate a function I could try?

Just started my image on the native install, (so it may be awhile) I don't want to confuse the issue further by involving a VM. When you "used CCleaner" the "Cleaner" part of the application, did you just leave all the default check boxes checked, and did you do the Analyze button first and see what it was about to remove? And did you also use the "Registry" applet and again did you check the scan results before fixing selected issues? I'd like to duplicate what you did as closely as possible to most likely get the same results. Maybe we can figure it out between the two of us or possible with others joining the thread with there own experience. And no worries the image file should handle a worse case scenario and give me a chance to test the disc image backup built in the the OS as an added bonus.
Thanks Mitch
Randy

These were the settings I had-

Mitchell:
OK..... I ran CCleaner with the default option both the Cleaner and the Registry Cleaner no apparent impact on Metro UI. Both issues that you have reported and others have reported elsewhere on the Web (Missing Control Panel Tile and Missing Desktop Tile) in the Metro UI are both still present and both exhibit full functionality, even the cool "User" applet which supports "Picture Password" and "Pin Login" seem to be unaffected.
The only thing that might possibly be different is I am currently using a 32bit install. I have a separate 64bit install, if you'd like me to test it there as well.
Regards
Randy

Mitchell:
OK..... I ran CCleaner with the default option both the Cleaner and the Registry Cleaner no apparent impact on Metro UI. Both issues that you have reported and others have reported elsewhere on the Web (Missing Control Panel Tile and Missing Desktop Tile) in the Metro UI are both still present and both exhibit full functionality, even the cool "User" applet which supports "Picture Password" and "Pin Login" seem to be unaffected.
The only thing that might possibly be different is I am currently using a 32bit install. I have a separate 64bit install, if you'd like me to test it there as well.
Regards
Randy

I use all default options + custom files and folders, old prefetch data (so as not to have prefetch loaded with installers I'll never use again) and IIS logs.

I don't recall using the registry cleaner, but if the above options don't reproduce the errors, run it all options checked. I'm also running 64 bit.
@Dave - Settings related to user tile, lock screen, Windows Live ID/password and many more are only contained in the metro version of the CP. You can only access these things via the metro interface - it looks like this:
screen.jpg

OK. Looks like I'll need a triple boot with one of the 8's on Metro. I discarded Metro very early as I could not see any advantage in my case. That left me (lol) with an OS which looked and worked about 95% like Windows 7!!!

Hey Dave, shouldn't require another install, just another user, that's if you made the adjustment to disable the Metro UI at HKCU. I have two separate users one with metro and one vanilla.

If I ever get the BIOS key commands working on my trash PC, I'll create 3 partitions on it and test out options until I nail the problem on the head.

The three give me more freedom to mod (read "destroy") one of the installations. But. After one week of exploring every available option, I am about to trash it. This is an early stage release, but I can see no purpose in pursuing it. There is very little to investigate that has not already been explored in Windows 7. I see no advantage in the Metro, unless you have a touchpad. I may wait for the Beta to see if it offers up something better.

Well guys, I finally nailed the problem on the head today (mind you, I could have last week if I wasn't so lazy):

CCleaner (and any other registry cleaners) that scans for invalid shortcuts or application path references will delete three keys required by Windows 8 to display the metro CP, Windows Store and metro Remote Desktop. These keys are as follows:
Please note that in CCleaner, the problem arises when the user scans for invalid Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts from within the cleaning dialog, not the registry scanner.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Store.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Immersive Control Panel.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Immersive RemoteDesktop.lnk\C:\Users\Mitch\Desktop\notused

So when using ANY registry cleaning software, be sure to look through the scan prior to removing keys and UNSELECT these three "invalid" shortcuts. Although, I still don't understand why this made the apps completely inaccessible (via some external links in the normal CP, etc) and quite frankly, I don't care.

Thanks for your help guys, and I hope this solves the problem for others as well :)

I have Win 8 DP 64 bit dual booted with Win 7 Ultimate. I have installed CCleaner and run both temp file delet section and registry cleanup with out a single hitch. Worked just the same as in Win7.

I have Win 8 DP 64 bit dual booted with Win 7 Ultimate. I have installed CCleaner and run both temp file delet section and registry cleanup with out a single hitch. Worked just the same as in Win7.

It also didn't affect the user Trouble, but I'm not sure why, seems to be some variables depending on your specific installation.
Hopefully this problem will be addressed by Piriform and other companies soon!

I also suspect it has something to do with the various configurations and installed apps, etc. There are so many variations of H/W and S/W that sometimes I'm surprised these work as well as they do for the multitudes of PC's in use.

I get flamed and even called a Liar, every time I say this, but since the subject has been opened.....
I ran CCleaner twice over several years, on Windows XP-Pro and both times it destroyed my Windows to the point it would not even boot. I had to do a Ghost Restore to get my PC back. I don't want that program anywhere near me or my PC.

There are SAFE programs, like AVG Tune-Up that do the same things and do them safely.
I've already ran it on Windows 8, like Windows 7, with no problems, except for one, that may have to do with the fact that W-8 is still in Beta...... that is, when I ran the Internet Optimization app, it could not write back to the registry. NO damage was done in the process.
I'm thinking it WILL work OK, in the final release version. It works great in Win-7 and greatly increased my Internet speed.

:cool:

Sorry to hear. I've used it on dozens of PC's, thousands of times, over years, and only had one issue. Using the registry backup that it asks you if you want to save, fixed it. It can happen with any registry cleaning program. I've never tried AVG, but I quit using their AV quite awhile ago because of way too many false positives. After it auto deleted files I created, I was done. I refuse to use any of their products again.

My wife and I use CCleaner, if not daily, then every couple of days with nary a hiccup. As I have said before, each setup will be different and have different problems. I have to say I never used CCleaner during my XP days, but have used it since early in Win 7 and ever since. No sweat. Sorry you had the problem Doc.

Back
Top Bottom