Flash memory write protected - edit registry help required

Kingoswy66

I have a SanDisc flash memory that has suddenly become write protected. The SandDisc saite suggested editing the Write Protect registry entry (for Windows Xp) at:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > StorageDevicePolicies.

But when I looked, the entry isn't there on Windows 7. Anyone know where I can find it please?

xiezhoupeng351

You can try to plug off and then plug in the disk,sometime it can solve the problem.

OR

You can move all the files to a safe location and format the disk.

Kingoswy66

Thank's for the response. I tried the reformat option but it won't allow me to format. I just get a warning that it's write protected. I also tried unlplug and the eject option, both have the same result.

webscaper

Looks like the readonly volume attribute was changes by a virus or whatever. You can change it back. Reference this article: Attributes.

I have included an attachment with the command to change the readonly volume atrribute.

Attachments

xiezhoupeng351

Thank's for the response. I tried the reformat option but it won't allow me to format. I just get a warning that it's write protected. I also tried unlplug and the eject option, both have the same result.
I have met the same problem with my SD memory card. It's always said 'Write protection', but when I plug off and plug in for a few times, I can do anything with it including formatting.

Maybe you can also try to format it under Windows XP and then see what happens with Win7

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
I too used to have this problem on my netbook.
It turned out that for some reason when I inserted the SD card, the card reader itself would slide the small "lock" switch and the card.
I bought a new card, never happened again.

Strange occurrences.