Windows 8.1 Flashing monitor

DENNIS GRAVER

I have a problem that ASUS techs don't have the answer to. When I turn on the computer I get 3 bangs
from my Sony 2.1 speakers. Then they are ok. The worst problem is that the monitor screen flashes off
and on. It can happen on any program. Examples would be an Office program or Quicken. The worst
program is Civ V - my favorite game. I can go an hour with no flashes or stop counting at 65 flashes.
Asus thought it was my Asus monitor so they exchanged it for a same replacement. Now they thought it
was my motherboard so I just reinstalled a replacement Rampage IV Black today and it has the same
problem.
They had me pull and switch between two Asus 780Ti's, pull and switch the approved Skill memory,
change settings in the Bios and update the Bios. The replacement board had series 4 Bios - same
problem - now updated to series 7. No change.
I can't believe my problem has never happened before.
I have NOT reinstalled windows. Everything is as it was before with the new board.
Is this a Windows issue or not related to Windows at all!!!!

I'd check everything as a matter of course particularly the HDMI cable and the like (or whatever connection/cable your using). It's not unknown for brand new goods to have faults and if you have a older spare I'd give it a go. I mean you've pretty much tried everything else and you just never know.

I'd check everything as a matter of course particularly the HDMI cable and the like (or whatever connection/cable your using). It's not unknown for brand new goods to have faults and if you have a older spare I'd give it a go. I mean you've pretty much tried everything else and you just never know.
Since the last post someone suggested tieing a tv into the computer using a HDMI cable. I had the monitor running with desktop showing and I played CivV on the tv. The tv had no problem but the monitor flashed 3 times. I installed a new DVI cable. still flashed. With the monitor flashing and the tv ok, wouldn't that eliminate the memory, graphics cards, plugins to the motherboard and the motherboard itself unless the tv reacts differently then the monitor???

I recently had an issue with two different monitors where the DVI connection on the monitor itself was the problem. I switch to a VGA cable and problem solved.
Do you have the option on your particular monitor to switch to either VGA or HDMI cable for testing to see if it is the DVI port on the monitor?

Last edited:
I recently had an issue with two different monitors where the DVI connection on the monitor itself was the problem. I switch to a VGA cable and problem solved.
Do you have the option on your particular monitor to switch to either VGA or HDMI cable for testing to see if it is the DVI port on the monitor?
I can do the VGA or the HDMI. I will start with the HDMI then the VGA. Thanks

Sure.... no problem. Just something I ran into recently and thought I would pass along for your consideration.
Please come back and let us know how the problem is progressing.

Thanks Trouble. The DVI was the problem. I ran an HDMI cable from the ASUS monitor to the Asus 780Ti yesterday and had the monitor look for an HDMI signal. I had no flashes since then including in Civ V. I will pass this on to ASUS.
I will set up a new request because this did not correct why I get 3 loud bangs when I turn on the power.
Thanks again Trouble

Thanks for letting us know how you're progressing.
I'd be interested in hearing what the ultimate solution might be......
DVI cable, DVI port on the Graphics Card or DVI port on the Monitor itself.
As Kemical pointed out earlier, sometimes poorly made cables with bad inefficient shielding or bad ferrite beads / chokes (those plastic hump things you'll often see at either or sometimes both ends of the cables) can allow EMF interference that an otherwise good cable will prevent.

Thanks for letting us know how you're progressing.
I'd be interested in hearing what the ultimate solution might be......
DVI cable, DVI port on the Graphics Card or DVI port on the Monitor itself.
As Kemical pointed out earlier, sometimes poorly made cables with bad inefficient shielding or bad ferrite beads / chokes (those plastic hump things you'll often see at either or sometimes both ends of the cables) can allow EMF interference that an otherwise good cable will prevent.
I had two DVI cables and two monitors plus I pulled one graphic card then switched between them. I would think both ASUS graphic cards and both ASUS monitors would use the same DVI port. I think there is a problem in all ASUS DVI ports.

I think there is a problem in all ASUS DVI ports.
I suppose that, that is certainly possible.
It's just that sometimes when you swap things around, you can lose track of which bit you tried with which other bit.
Personally, I'll definitely file the bit of information away for future reference.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom