Windows 7 Fn keys (Easier life)

jarvis

Hi

This isn't really an issue with the OS itself but I'm looking for some help in tweaking it a little on my laptop, if it's possible:

I am using HDMI ouput on my laptop to connect it to my LCD. In order to get the sound to come from the tv speakers I have to go into the sound properties in control panel and set the default sound output to external display, then must undo this to return sound to the laptop.

Is there an easier way???
Can I set it up so that when the Fn5 key changes the display that it also changes the sound?

Can I get some type of compatible software that would let me add a custom Fn key and assign this action to it?

If I create a second user account with default sound changed and default external display, could I just switch user, if you know what I mean?

Basically, there's nothing wrong with this super dooper OS but I just want the cherry on the top for my particular machine.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Hello,

Please give us the specs on your laptop, especially the video card and sound card make and model

Processor - AMD Turion X2 mobile processor RM-72 2.1 GHz Dual-Core - 1MB L2 Cache
RAM - 4 GB
Hard Drive - 250 GB
Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Screen - 16' CineCrystal Screen 1366 x 768
Optical Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM
Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - 512MB VRAM

The sound card is not listed in the specs but the acer web site refers to Audio as:
  • Dolby®-optimized surround sound system with two built-in stereo speakers and one subwoofer supporting low-frequency effects
  • Optimized 2nd Generation Dolby Home Theater® audio enhancement, featuring Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Live, Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx, Dolby® Headphone, Dolby® Natural Bass, Dolby® Sound Space Expander technologies
  • Two built-in stereo speakers and one Acer Tuba CineBass booster supporting low-frequency effects
  • True5.1-channel surround sound output
  • Digital( DVB-T) TV-tuner supporting hardware MPEG-2 stream encoding and DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting-Terrestrial) standard (6 to 8 MHz)
    (manufacturing option)
  • High-definition audio support
  • S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) support for digital speakers
  • MS-Sound compatible
  • Acer PureZone technology with two built-in stereo microphones featuring beam forming, echo cancellation, and noise suppression technologies
Is this info any use?
Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like a very nice sound card.

Try going to Start> Run, and type msinfo32 and hit enter.
Look under the Components section, then sound device.

If that doesn't help try downloading this freeware utility and copy and paste the sound card info into Notepad, then post the contents on Notepad to your next post

|MG| SIW (System Info) 2009.5.12

Reg

It just says "high definition sound card" Manufacturer Microsoft

Don't know what I did, but for some reason now when I plus a hdmi cable into the laptop; both the picture and sound transfer to the tv!!!!!! and when I unplug, the laptop kicks back in.... It's just what I wanted.

thanks Reg for helping me.

Last edited:
go to your pc manufacturer site, dl drivers, utilities and upgrades (assuming you installed another os since you both that machine) Anyway in my case (sony laptop) was a file called IDT, So all you need to do just click into any file which has something to do with sound in those original manufacturer drivers/utitilities and reinstall. Also make sure to update gfx card driver.Look into your gfx card settings.
Hdmi`s directly related to ur gfx card but the sound is your pc hardware sound drivers.
Same story goes with fn key, Infact I couldn`t find exact utility on uk manufacturer site (sony) Guess what found everything on US sony site. A lot people sort out vision problem but real problem is the sound. So thay just end up using hdmi cable as an ordinary video signal. If you can`t fix sound issue there is one resort to fix it but if you have the recovery disc or partion. Me I personally an audiophile so all tv speakers make me sick. Hope you sort it.

Back
Top Bottom