Folder has shortcut to Itself inside and will not delete

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by ChristopherS, Jul 5, 2010.

1. ChristopherS

ChristopherS New Member

Hi all,

I solved my own problem but I thought that I would post the solution here. I did not see anything on the net for the issue I was having but I am sure it comes up from time to time.

I accidentally created a shortcut inside a folder to itself. I was clicking on the file path at the top and BOOM, suddenly there was a shortcut to the folder INSIDE the folder!

When I went to delete the shortcut the system went into an infinite loop and just kept saying ...deleting....

I tried chkdsk and safe mode but neither worked. Same problem with the infinite delete.

I finally shared the folder out to my network, logged off my system, went to another system and deleted the shortcut from the folder. I figured that the network access, since it does not use the recycle bin, is enough different to allow for the short cut to be deleted.

It worked.

2. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

I tried to recreate your problem. Created a folder and then a shortcut of that folder inside the folder itself. The shortcut deleted fine.

3. ChristopherS

ChristopherS New Member

I just recreated the exact same problem on two other systems. Caused the same error. Don't know why it deleted fine from your system.