Windows 7 Folder in Use

Oldie

Running Windows 7, Explorer 8, and Norton 360 v4

When trying to rename or delete files or folders, I often get

Folder in Use
The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program.

I check the task manager and sure enough something is running. I do an end task and try again, but still get the same error message. And yet again the task manager says something is running. No matter how many times I try it, it never seems to unlock the file or folder.

I have checked the internet and it seems quite a few users are having the same problem, but they seem to be pre-WIN 7.

Sure could use some easy to understand instructions. While reading what others have been doing I discovered I didn't really understand a lot of the expanations.

Thanks for any advice and assistance

Oldie

This doesn't answer your question but it does do a couple of other things!! ;)

1) It gets you an empathy vote! I too get this often with (what seems to me) absolutely no rhyme or reason!

2) Have you got Link Removed - Invalid URL installed? It's a great little app. that adds itself to your context menu. if you hit a locked file or folder you right click and select UnlockerLink Removed - Invalid URL. You then get a few options like delete, rename etc. or just simply unlock (do nothing). Before this became 64 bit compatible, for 3 or 4 months I was lost!! Oh, and its free (I like free!!).

Oldie:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
If Norton 360 is going to be your antivirus of choice, then I would suspect that you need to become very familiar with all of its' features. It's a very robust and some might say a bit over zealous program that contains many different features to protect your system not the least of which is a backup product to protect files on your computer as well as a means of recovering deleted files with what I think is their own plug-in for the recycle bin. It may be that this product is inhibiting your ability to manage some of these files by being a bit over protective in its' monitoring.

Greeting Elmer

Thanks for the reply. Tried UNLOCKER and my AntiVirus checker went nuts. so I uninstalled it...............I wonder my AV could be the problem

Oldie

Hello Trouble,

Thanks for the reply......I disabled Norton, and the problem remains.

However, knowing Norton s/w as I do, I'll keep that in mind.

Oldie

............I wonder my AV could be the problem

Oldie
Could well be your AV as I've heard different stories about Norton. Must admit though, the last time I used Norton was when it came freely bundled with the XP machine I bought (back when XP was the new kid on the block everybody was moaning about!). I've always been an ESET man ever since, but AV is like car choice, what suits one person down to the ground is the biggest bag of crock on four wheels to somebody else.

As Trouble has said above, I'd see what settings you can change in Norton. ESET AV and Unlocker have always been good neighbours on any PC or system I've used over the last few years. But ESET doesn't like one or two of the little programs I have on my PC, HandiCapsLock springs to mind, I just add them to ESET'S "ignore" list.

Back