GLSmyth

Extraordinary Member
I used Metadata Fixer to extract some Google Photos files. I am done with the folder that held the zip files and can delete it, along with the empty folders within. However, when I select the folder and press Delete I get the message: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in D:\. Verify the item's location and try again."

The folder is still there and I can access the empty folders within, but cannot delete it. Some folders within the main folder I was able to delete, but others tell me that the selected folder is no longer located there, although I can see it and open it.

How can I delete the folder? I have never had this happen before, so I am unsure how to proceed. I have restarted my computer but that has not made any difference. Any suggestions as to how I can delete this folder that the system does not know exists would be appreciated (by the way, I am not very technical with these things, so please keep that in mind ).

Thanks

Last edited:
It seems like you’re encountering a frustrating issue with deleting a folder that appears to exist but is giving you errors. This situation can be caused by a few different factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve this issue:

1. Refresh Explorer: Sometimes, Windows Explorer doesn't immediately update its view. Try pressing F5 to refresh the folder view and then attempt to delete the folder again.

2. Check for Hidden Files/Folders: There may be hidden files or folders within that directory preventing deletion. Open the folder, click on the "View" tab in the menu, and ensure "Hidden items" is checked. If you find any hidden items, try deleting them first.

3. Use Command Prompt:
- Press Win + R, type cmd, and hit Enter.
- Navigate to the parent directory of the folder using the cd command.
- Use the command rmdir /s /q "FolderName" to forcibly remove the folder (Replace "FolderName" with the actual name of the folder).

4. Check Permissions: Right-click the folder, go to Properties, and then the Security tab. Ensure your user account has the necessary permissions to delete the folder.

5. Safe Mode: Restart your computer in Safe Mode and try deleting the folder there. This mode loads minimal drivers and might help if some third-party software is interfering.

6. Third-party Software: Sometimes, third-party applications like your Metadata Fixer or even antivirus software may lock files. Try temporarily disabling any security software and then attempt the deletion.

7. Disk Check:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Run chkdsk D: /f (replace D with the appropriate drive letter).
- Follow the prompts, and let it complete. This can fix file system errors.

8. Use Windows Powershell: Open Windows Powershell with administrative privileges and use the command:
Code:
powershell
   Remove-Item "D:\Path\To\Your\Folder" -Recurse -Force
(Replace the path with the actual folder path).

If you still encounter issues after trying these steps, there might be a deeper file system corruption or other underlying issues that need to be addressed. Feel free to provide more details if nothing seems to work!

1. I have restarted Windows Explorer and restarted the computer

2. Hidden files is checked

3. I am not sure how to use the cd command. I thought cd d:\ would work but the prompt still says C:\Users\georg>

4. When I right-click the folder I do not see a Security tab - just General, Sharing, Previous Versions and Customize

5. I do not know how to restart my computer in "safe mode"

6. The only security I have on the computer is Windows Defender, and do not know how to disable it.

7. I tried Remove-Item "D:\Metadata Fixer" -Recurse -Force but got "Remove-Item : The system cannot find the file specified"

Thanks for providing the updates, GLSmyth! Let's tackle each of your points to help resolve the folder deletion issue:
  1. Continuing Issues with Folder Deletion: Since you've already restarted Explorer and your computer, let’s move on to other options.
  2. Using Command Prompt (cd Command): When you open Command Prompt, it defaults to your user directory. To change the drive, type D: and press Enter. This will switch the prompt to the D: drive. Then, you can navigate using the cd command. For example:
    Code:
    bash cd "Folder\With\Spaces" # Use quotes if the folder name has spaces
    If you aim to navigate directly to the folder you want to delete, you can type:
    Code:
    bash cd Metadata\ Fixer
  3. Missing Security Tab: If you don’t see a Security tab, you may be looking at a folder you don't own, or it may not be a standard folder. Try right-clicking an empty area within the folder and selecting "Properties" there.
  4. Booting into Safe Mode:
    • Restart your computer.
    • As soon as it powers back on, repeatedly press F8 (or Shift + F8) before Windows starts loading. This might take you to the Advanced Boot Options where you can select "Safe Mode".
    • If that doesn’t work, go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery and under Advanced Startup, click "Restart now." After your PC restarts, go to Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Startup Settings -> Restart, and then select "4" for Safe Mode.
  5. Disabling Windows Defender:
    • Open Windows Security by searching for it in the Start menu.
    • Click on "Virus & threat protection".
    • Under Virus & threat protection settings, click "Manage settings".
    • Toggle off "Real-time protection". Remember to turn this back on after you've resolved the folder issue.
  6. Retry the PowerShell Command: Since the Remove-Item command failed, it’s important to confirm the exact path. Double-check the folder name and its path. You can do this by navigating to it using File Explorer. If the correct path is indeed D:\Metadata Fixer, ensure there are no typos or different character cases.
Here’s how to find the exact path:
  • Open the folder containing the items you want, click on the address bar in File Explorer, and copy the full path. Then, use that exact path in PowerShell.
If none of the above methods work, we might need to look into third-party tools that can handle stubborn files or investigate potential disk issues further. Let me know how it goes!

2. I was able to switch to the D drive. I entered 'rmdir /s /q "Metadata Fixer"'

It responded:
Remove-Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '/q'.
At line:1 char:1
  • rmdir /s /q "Metadata Fixer"
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: ) [Remove-Item], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand

I do not know what any of that means.

3. Same thing when I select an open area within the folder. I am the only user of the computer so I am assuming that I have full permissions.

6. Tried again and got the same results.

It sounds like we're making some progress, GLSmyth! Let's clarify a few things about the commands you're using and try a slightly different approach.

1. Using Command Prompt vs. PowerShell

It seems like you've been mixing up commands for Command Prompt and PowerShell. The command you attempted to use (rmdir /s /q) is correct for Command Prompt, but it doesn’t work in PowerShell.

Here’s what you should do:​

• Open Command Prompt (not PowerShell):
    • Press Win + R, type cmd, and hit Enter.
    • Navigate to the D drive by typing D: and pressing Enter.
    • Then, run the command:
      Code:
      bash rmdir /s /q "Metadata Fixer"
    • The /s parameter removes all directories and files in the specified directory, and /q stands for "quiet mode," which disables confirmation prompts.

2. Permissions Check

Since you mentioned that you couldn't find the Security tab, let's confirm if you're indeed the owner of the folder:
  • Right-click the folder (Metadata Fixer).
  • Select "Properties."
  • Go to the "General" tab and check the "Attributes" section to see if there's an "Read-only" attribute checked.
  • Also, check if the folder is marked as “hidden.”

3. Try Safe Mode Again

If the above steps are still not working, entering Safe Mode would help eliminate conflicts:
  • Restart the computer and use the F8 key (or other methods mentioned previously) to access Safe Mode.
  • Once in Safe Mode, try to delete the folder through normal means or using Command Prompt again.

4. Using File Explorer

If you still can’t delete it with the command line, go back to the regular File Explorer, try to delete again, and check for any error messages. Sometimes, simply restarting Windows into Safe Mode can allow you to successfully remove folders or files that are otherwise locked by processes in normal mode.

5. Third-party Tools

If none of this works, you can try third-party tools like "Unlocker" or "CCleaner." These applications can help you unlock and delete stubborn files and folders that Windows has trouble with.
Let me know if these steps work or if you run into any issues!

3. I right-clicked within the folder and got the same results. As I am the only person on the computer I assume that I have permissions for everything.

4. Following the directions I found no option for Safe Mode

5. Turning off Windows Defender did not help

6. I do have the exact path

Is there a human here, or is this just a robot forum?

I assure you, GLSmyth, you're indeed interacting with a helpful bot, though real human support from the forum community can certainly enhance the experience! Now, let's push through this challenge together.

Addressing Your Points:​

1. Permissions Confirmation:
    Since you're the only user, it's safe to assume you have permissions, but sometimes ownership might need to be explicitly set. Here's how to check:
    • Right-click on the Metadata Fixer folder, select "Properties," and navigate to the "Sharing" tab.
    • Click on "Advanced Sharing."
    • If you see the "Permissions" button, click it, and ensure that your user account is listed with "Full Control."
  2. Finding Safe Mode:
    If the F8 key isn't working, try this alternative:
    • Open Settings from the Start menu.
    • Go to "Update & Security," then select "Recovery" from the left-hand menu.
    • Under "Advanced startup," click "Restart now."
    • After your computer restarts, select "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Startup Settings" > "Restart."
    • Once it restarts, you'll see a list of options. Press 4 for Safe Mode.
  3. Using Windows Terminal or Command Prompt:
    If the regular deletion attempts haven’t worked, ensure you’re in the Command Prompt, not PowerShell. If Command Prompt keeps failing, try this command:
    Code:
    bash del /f /s /q "D:\Metadata Fixer"
    This command attempts to delete any files within that folder first.
  4. Third-party Unlocking Tools:
    If you haven't tried it yet, tools like Unlocker or IObit Unlocker can free up files that are being used by the system, allowing you to delete the folder. Just download and install the software, then use it to select the Metadata Fixer folder and attempt to delete it.
  5. Using Safe Mode Again:
    Safe Mode is key to preventing other running services from interfering. If you have trouble accessing it directly through Settings, you can also try stopping your computer forcefully three times during the boot process (by holding the power button). This should trigger Windows Recovery Environment, where you can utilize the Advanced options to access Safe Mode.
  6. Forum Support:
    If the forum has specific human moderators or community experts, they might respond in your thread! It’s a great place to connect, share experiences, and get advice from those who may have encountered similar issues.
Try these suggestions, and let me know how it goes. We're getting closer to a solution!