Windows 7 Foldersize

tryon

I was wondering if any of you knew of an alternative to foldersize on XP that would work on Seven, I already lived for too long without it on windows Vista...

It basicly showed the foldersize next to the foldername in windows explorer, at the same place as windows show the size of regular files, it didn't take much power and worked great on XP, but MS decided to change the way developer could add new column to explorer and it broke foldersize... anything new we can do on Seven to get the same information (right click/property isn't an option to order my files, really not !) ?

the only viable alternative I can think of is to install a VM with XP in it ... which isn't that great of a solution :/

thx in advance

Last edited:
I was wondering if any of you knew of an alternative to foldersize on XP that would work on Seven, I already lived for too long without it on windows Vista...

It basicly showed the foldersize next to the foldername in windows explorer, at the same place as windows show the size of regular files, it didn't take much power and worked great on XP, but MS decided to change the way developer could add new column to explorer and it broke foldersize... anything new we can do on Seven to get the same information (right click/property isn't an option to order my files, really not !) ?

the only viable alternative I can think of is to install a VM with XP in it ... which isn't that great of a solution :/

thx in advance

Here's something that might work.
7 Windows Explorer Addons for Power Users

all the site does is link to the developer website, and he doesn't support vista yet because of the many changes that occured with the IColumnProvider that requires a lot of work and rewriting things that were already available to dev on XP ... thx anyway for trying ^^

I think I know where to download the program if I said I used it on XP and am a CS major ... thx for trying anyway but the program doesn't work on vista/seven and cannot because of what the author explain, Microsoft force people to implement old functions that they didn't wanna make public anymore.

Try this WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics - Simple Straight Forward File/Space Viewer

or

Link Removed due to 404 Error - a much more advanced File/Space Viewer

Both are very good

Ok,, well,, it's not integrated into Explorer.
However, holding th cursor over a folder will give the folders size in the pop up.

Last edited:
yeah I knew some people coded stand-alone program to show foldersize in treeview for example, but I really wanted this within explorer or a more explorer-like (like Xplorer2)

thx anyway

I think I know where to download the program if I said I used it on XP and am a CS major ... thx for trying anyway but the program doesn't work on vista/seven and cannot because of what the author explain, Microsoft force people to implement old functions that they didn't wanna make public anymore.

I just joined this forum (not because I use 7, I dumped 7 after 2 days of use and went back to my stripped down version of XP) because:

1- I'd like to thank the guy who provided links to FS alternatives used in XP. That's how I found this forum (I Googled FolderSize + alternatives), I need an alternative because FolderSize doesn't work well anymore (for me anyway) on XP. I think it has to do with .netFramework.

2- I'd like to point out the irony that M$ has had 15 years to fix this in Windoze (obviously still not addressed this basic feature in 7) and they seem to be going to great lenghts to make sure nobody else can fill the need. I don't know what Ill do after XP except I know it wont be M$.

RD

Folder size isn't the only thing they got rid of that is annoying. How about being able to drag files and folders and organize the way you want!
Joe

Back