Windows 7 Font Problem

Jojo Smith

For some reason some websites fonts are really messed up. They appear either bold or narrow.

This is only on some sites for some reason. I've did a system restore didn't work, did a repair install and still hasn't worked.

This starting to really annoy me.

Any help please. :)

Example:
1280260747.jpg

1280260831.jpg

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Options:

1. Try to change your screen resolution
2. Go to View\Character Encoding and change it to the correct one, depending where you are in the world.
3. Font settings:

IE:
IE is fairly smart about picking tuned fonts for different characters. To set your font as the default for a given block of characters, choose Tools > Internet Options > Fonts, then select the fonts.
Firefox:
You will need to tell Firefox which fonts to use for which encodings. To set your font as the default for a given block of characters, choose Tools > Options > Content. In "Fonts and Colors" click on the Advanced button. Then for each encoding you are likely to use, pick the appropriate fonts for the Variable Width and Fixed Width fonts. It is particularly important to set default fonts for Unicode.

Last edited:
Did you install additional fonts that don't come with Windows?

Try resetting Windows fonts:
You can remove any changes that you've made to your display settings.

• Open Fonts by clicking the Start button Link Removed due to 404 Error, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.
  • In the left pane, click Font settings.
  • Click Restore default font settings.
Also do this:

1. Right-click the desktop. Choose "Personalize."
  2. Click Window Color and Appearance.
  3. Click Advanced Appearance Settings
  4. Go through each item and reset fonts (where appropriate) to Segoe UI 9pt, not bold, not italic. (All the settings in a default Win7 or Vista machine will be Segoe UI 9pt.)
If this doesn't work -- or I should say, if all your settings here are already Segoe UI 9pt -- then you have probably inadvertently changed your ClearType settings. ClearType is how Windows draws fonts on-screen, and depending on the screen, different settings will be needed for optimal font display.
To fix this in Win7:

1. Right-click the desktop. Choose "Personalize."
  2. Click "Display"
  3. Click "Adjust ClearType Text"
  4. A window will pop up. Make sure its checkbox ("Turn on ClearType") is checked. Click "Next."
  5. Follow the prompts through the wizard, adjusting until the fonts look "right" again.

Thanks. Yes I did install some additional fonts.

I done all the things you said and still nothing has changed. :(

You said in your original post that you did a system restore that didn't work. Are you sure you restored to a date that you are sure you didn't have that problem? Are you sure that after the restore, after the computer restarted, did it say "The system restored successfully" and NOT "The system failed to restore to that date"? Look to see if you have restore points as far back as a few months and try restoring to them. If this doesn't work, I will try to think of something else.

Make sure your Firefox is up-to-date = v3.6.8

Try uninstalling the new fonts you installed, restart and try again. (It's anyways not good to install too many fonts. Only install ones you need and not just full packages of thousands of fonts).

Try to go to "Tools" and then to "Options...". When there, go to "Content". Under "Fonts & Colors" click on "Advanced". Uncheck the box that reads "Allow pages to choose their own fonts...".

Be careful with the following tip!
Open Firefox and type in URL: about:config
You will get a warning. Click OK (But I'd advise to leave the option to warn you again in the future CHECKED)
In the Filter, type font.
My settings for a few are:
browser.display.auto_quality_min_font_size = 20
browser.display.use_document_fonts = 1
font.default.el = serif
font.minimum-size.el = 0
font.minimum-size.th = 10
font.size.fixed.el = 13
font.size.variable.el = 16

See if these are like yours.
DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE ON THIS PAGE!!!!

Download freeware Ultimate Windows Tweaker Link Removed - Invalid URL and go to Internet Explorer Tab and click "Restore Defaults" and Apply.

Last edited:
I don't have a system restore point which dates back to last week (when it was fine).

Can I have a list of fonts which are provided by Windows 7 please by default and I will delete the list. I'm afraid to say I did install a font pack.

I did what you have said and all are the same and problem still persists, I think it is because I was stupid and installed a lot of fonts. I'm an idiot. :(

First do this:

1. From Windows Explorer, first create a new folder anywhere on your hard disk. Give it a name something like MyFonts or TTF (the shorter the folder name, the better; due to registry limitations).
2. Select all the fonts in this folder and copy them to your new folder. This creates a backup of all your fonts. Never, ever start deleting fonts without first making backup copies. In the event that you need to restore one of the deleted fonts, you will have it readily available.

Then Try this:
Dealing with Too Many Fonts in Windows 7

In the case nothing helped, tell me and I will upload my Fonts folder for you (to a server) so you can download.

Last edited:
Thanks. What I did was from another one of my PC I copied the fonts folder to my laptop. Some fonts are now back to normal but the content of the website is still messed up, what I mean is navigation bars and headers are back to normal except from the content text.

I still thinking some fonts are being corrupted. When I deleted my fonts (not all were deleted, said they were being used, i took a back up first), I think some fonts are still left, corrupted ones. Anyway to delete every single one?

Yes. Start the computer in safe mode and delete the entire folder. Then copy the Fonts folder you got.
If you want, I uploaded my fonts folder (compressed) anyway because I didn't know if you'd need it. It's here: HotShare - Fonts.rar

Back
Top Bottom