Fonts + Control Panel problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Ren El, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Ren El

Ren El New Member

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem that I've only just noticed because there hasn't been a time for me to install fonts until today.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and I had to do a reformat about a week ago. I just noticed an odd thing with regards to the fonts shortcut in control panel that has never happened before....it's just not there. It's the same if I use GodMode and I can't open the font window/manager.

I've attached a screenshot of what I exactly mean.

Secondly, for some reason fonts I installed the old fashioned way by dragging/dropping them into C:\Windows\Fonts aren't getting recognised by any application and all I see is the default fonts which is frustrating since some one has asked me a favour and I need to do a few projects in Adobe Photoshop CS5 as well as Sony Vegas Pro 10.

Not really wanting to face the prospect of reinstalling Windows 7 again and everything else..but if push comes to shove I guess I wouldn't have a choice.

I hope some one can help and thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Elmer

Elmer Extraordinary Member

A couple of registry keys for you to check.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load.
    and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowCpl

Is this a recent disappearance of your Fonts control panel applet? Can you load Fonts through the Fonts folder at C:\Windows?

3. Ren El

Ren El New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I looked in the registry for those keys but they seem to not exist, same for my netbook's registry (which my netbook also has Ultimate 32-bit, which the font applet does show on my netbook's control panel) and I'm installing Win7 as a guest in VirtualBox right now.

It's recent in that it's the first time this as happened...I can't honestly say how recent since doing a fresh install a week ago though, I only noticed it because I needed to install fonts for the first time. Could be right from install or anytime without my knowing.

I've been using Windows 7 since the Betas, RC and launch...never had this problem until now so I'm stumped.

At the moment I'm using FontFrenzy to manage/install fonts. It's doing an okay job but not too fond of doing that on a regular/permanent basis since I try to keep the amount of software to a minimum.

As for loading fonts through C:\Windows\Fonts...yeah, loadings fine....the fonts just don't seem to get registered/recognised if that makes any sense.

4. Elmer

Elmer Extraordinary Member

Those (especially the second) were two registry keys to hide the fonts applet (folder) so I'm glad you haven't got those.
    But now I'm stuck! I once had my fonts "disappear" but luckily a Restore Point of 3 hours previous put them back so I never dug any deeper.
    Sorry can't be of further help :(

5. Ren El

Ren El New Member

Maybe it's just some kind of fluke, I have that kind of luck...I'll probably partition my hard drive since I always try to keep 50% free, install Windows 7 and if everything's good..move data.

Thanks for the help either way, it was/is appeciated! :)