Windows 7 Format Hard Drives In Windows 7 Installer?

MikeAlex

I messed up completely... this is what happened. I was running Windows 7 and I decided to test out Linux Ubuntu so that I would know what I was talking about with the OS. The disc run was pretty bare bones so I decided to install it onto my system. Bad news is that it completely messed up Win7 somehow and I was pretty much forced to do a re-install of my Win7 installation. When I went to re-install to fix the lag errors, it says I can't install on any of my hard drives because they have been all changed to ext3 format by Linux. I have no idea how to change them back to NTFS format for Windows. So my question is, is it possible to format my hard drives back to NTFS using the command prompt that is in the Win7 install disc?

I messed up completely... this is what happened. I was running Windows 7 and I decided to test out Linux Ubuntu so that I would know what I was talking about with the OS. The disc run was pretty bare bones so I decided to install it onto my system. Bad news is that it completely messed up Win7 somehow and I was pretty much forced to do a re-install of my Win7 installation. When I went to re-install to fix the lag errors, it says I can't install on any of my hard drives because they have been all changed to ext3 format by Linux. I have no idea how to change them back to NTFS format for Windows. So my question is, is it possible to format my hard drives back to NTFS using the command prompt that is in the Win7 install disc?

Are you trying to say you did not get the option to Repartition this
completely messed up disk
If the Hard disk was detected by Win 7 during a new setup, you can partition and then let Windows 7 do all the formatting (with NTFS of course) and installing. You should not normally have the problem for that even if the disk used Linux File system. You cannot use the existing partition with Linux File system of any kind as Win 7 cannot read them.

Another option is to remove it and connect it using a USB to IDE/SATA [ You did not say what type of HDD] Cable to any Windows XP or above system's USB port and use that Computer's Disk management Snap in tool to perform partition and if you want even Format using NTFS before installing it back in the other PC's cage. You got a lot of options but all starts with Repartitioning.

There may be other options too. As long as the HDD is not physically damaged it is still ready to have Win 7 on it:)

When you tried to install windows 7 did you go to the advanced options to format windows 7 ? You should be able to install and partition .

Woosh's answer sums up. "When you tried to install windows 7 did you go to the advanced options to format windows 7 ? You should be able to install and partition . "

The option is down on the right hand side at an early stage of the install.
progress.gif
"​

Woosh's answer sums up. "When you tried to install windows 7 did you go to the advanced options to format windows 7 ? You should be able to install and partition . "

The option is down on the right hand side at an early stage of the install.

progress.gif
"​

I have no such option when I run the install program. If I select custom install, all it will do it ask me which partition I want to use for the install. After that selection is made, there is no other option, the installation begins.

Back
Top Bottom