Forum Actions

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
No one else is reporting this, so obviously I have something amiss in my Control Panel.
When I select Forum Actions, and Mark Forums Read, I get a box message popup.
from Vbulletin:
Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the Link Removed due to 404 Error
My forums read do not get deleted.
Anyone with advise?
Fwiw. This is in IE9: IE8 and Firefox.

As a temporary work-around try entering the forum that you would like to "Mark as Read" and use the "Forum Tool" selection for that forum. See attachment.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Trouble, but I did try that - no diffrence. Getting a little unwieldy now, with 9 pages and ever increasing.
Fwiw. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
Follow up.
It's the weekend, with family visits. Just tried it on my grandchild's XP - same!

Last edited:
Dave to mark each section as read double click on the icon relating to that particular section.

:)

Hey, Dave can you explain what you are seeing, as opposed to what you are expecting to see after you perform the Mark as Read action?

Sorry. Not meant to be rude, but I would have thought that would be apparent.
Nprmally, in this forum a few days ago, and still, in other forums, when I select something like "mark forums as read", the whole page is refreshed and, when tried, new posts says something like "There are no posts to view". Latterly, here, the new posts lists are getting longer and longer.

I have now tried log out, restart login and other combinations. I think there is a problem with my membership. I find that, although the site accepts my log in, It then refreshes and does not show I am logged in. I can do this countless times. If I then select "Whats New" an d then, new threads and follow as described above. I can then finally see at the top that I am logged in, and can , at last, then see subscribed threads (for example) in the drop downs.

Last edited:
Sorry. Not meant to be rude, but I would have thought that would be apparent.
Nprmally, in this forum a few days ago, and still, in other forums, when I select something like "mark forums as read", the whole page is refreshed and, when tried, new posts says something like "There are no posts to view". Latterly, here, the new posts lists are getting longer and longer.

I have now tried log out, restart login and other combinations. I think there is a problem with my membership. I find that, although the site accepts my log in, It then refreshes and does not show I am logged in. I can do this countless times. If I then select "Whats New" an d then, new threads and follow as described above. I can then finally see at the top that I am logged in, and can , at last, then see subscribed threads (for example) in the drop downs.

It does seem there may be a problem with your account. I tried double clicking each icon to mark each section read and then checked the New posts menu. As should be, there were no posts present apart from a very new one which had appeared in the time it took me to open the menu. Also, as already noted by you, clicking on 'Mark forums read' results in a 'see admin' error message so needs attention.
Apologies for the errors and we'll hopefully get them rectified asap.

:)

I noticed the problem as well, but I seemed to have cured it. I am in a non-ideal situation for this type of scenario, since my main computer's fan decided to kick the bucket recently. I am waiting for replacement parts, but have salvaged some of the wreckage. If it does not resolve itself, please let me know. Our search engine index may need to have to be rebuilt. We are using a late-breaking nightly build of vBulletin as part of the pre-release team. This allows us to identify unusual problems such as this, and provide new features to our members before other forums may have access. It also allows us to have undesirable situations like this. By now I would have updated to a new nightly build, and be participating in development discussions to some degree, but I am still salvaging software and configurations from my other system. I don't think this problem is creating too much of an undesirable effect, as it happened to me once and then went away. Please let me know if you still see the error.

Smiling again, but totally bewildered.
It is the next day in my part of the globe.
When I entered this site, , about ten minutes ago, which put it well after your post Mike, nothing had changed. I returned to my desktop and manually deleted all instance of browsing, including hidden folders, and restarted. When I returned to this site, everything had returned to normal!! Maybe we coincided with our visits, Mike, and you pulled the magic switch whilst I was out of here?
Anyway, if that was not the case, i'll try by every means to recreate the problem, and post back

Last edited:
I think I have solved the reason for the original problem. When customising, it is my habit to reduce requested temp space, which programs.etc. use , to as little as possible. I have no idea why this would have affected Fiirefox, but I replicated the fault through this customisation.

In IE - Tools - Internet Options, and under the "general" tab, there is a setting in the middle to "delete browsing history on exit".
Here I always have the settings set to "Never" and the available space reduced to 50 Mbs. I have had this settiing for a long time, as my default. For some reason, and it was on this site only, I suddenly began to get the strange behaviour I described.
I have returned the settings to the IE defaults, which is not a problem for me.
Fwiw, it may be significant, this began when I installe IE9. It may have altered a hidden registry setting somewhere. Unfortunately, uninstalling did not rectify it - if that was the reason!
Anyway, the thread can be closed if so wished, I,m OK with it.

Some internal changes were made and there is no way to tell. However, if its not happening that should indicate everything is fine.

The problem has returned! Can someone else try this?
IE 9 RTM& Firefox
I have run out of ideas - tried every config I can.

Thank you SO much Super Sarge. I have been burning my brains out over this, trying to see where my config could possibly be different on this site. Glad to here there is at least one other with the problem!

OK I ahve jusy exited from the forums (and come back to make this post). It is now working. No action was taken by me so thank you to whoever pulled the right switch!

Last edited:
This matter should be entirely resolved. If it is not for you, simply clear all browsing history, or use a different browser. Some problems with this functionality may have been identified as a bug fix in upcoming code, but this is speculative at best. I have seen it work and not work. Logging in and out may help while also clearing the browser cache, since your session hash and database tracking is used to perform this operation. This operation relies on an intensive database marking process to automatically mark entire threads read when you read them. The old methodology, which used cookies, was less server intensive, and less accurate, but made use of browser cookies instead.

I did all that when it was not working used CC cleaner to clean out everything tried 2 other browsers other than ff, even shut machine off waited a couple of minutes used cookienater to clear things nothing worked.
Everything is fine as of late yesterday.

Back