Forum Suggestion to improve helping people

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by zvit, Jul 5, 2010.

1. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

Nov 3, 2009
    It would be nice if windows7forums had a rule like on other help forums, where if your problem is solved, you must edit the subject of your original post and add the word [SOLVED] in it so people can easily see which problems were solved. (Or you can make a button for the post starter to click on "SOLVED" and the post would be marked as solved)

I sometimes have time on my hands and like to browse around and answering problems people haven't solved yet. Problem is, the only way I can know for sure that the problem hasn't been solved (without constant entering and reading posts) is if it has 0 responses.

I would like to be able to see right away topics that weren't solved yet so I can save time and go straight to them and help.

My 2 cents.
  2. RAK

RAK Extraordinary Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It would certainly assist, but not resolve your query.
    The only person who could properly assess a thread as solved, would be the op. In many cases, when solutions have been offered, the op does not comment. Another problem I have encountered, no less on this site, is the gatecrashing of threads by another poster, with a similar, but maybe not quite, problem. The moderators rarely step in on forums to advise the poster to start a thread, so you are stuck with "solved for who?"
    Best approach, which is the one I use, is to subscribe to the thread with help or even a comment, inorder to track the help and, secondly, look at new posts when you enter the site.
  3. cybercore

cybercore New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    While Zvit's suggestion to give users the ability to mark their threads 'SOLVED' would be useful to problem solvers, RAK's point is also good.
    #3 cybercore, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. Mitchell_A

Mitchell_A Excellent Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Only administrators can rename threads, or changed the prefixes of them, so users AND moderators can't mark a thread as solved.
    We'll mention this to Mike, right Cybercore? :)