found recovered version after repair...now have 2

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by roscored1000, Jan 12, 2010.

1. roscored1000

roscored1000 New Member

hi guys this is bugging me. I made the mistake of trying to install w7 to a laptop hard drive which wouldnt install in the laptop itself so i hooked it up to another pc with various cables and left the pc C: drive cable connected whilst I installed to the laptop drive.
    That was a mistake I know.
    So after installing and disconnecting laptop drive the pc showed 2 o/s systems to boot from similar to a dual boot I suppose. The option was to do a repair of the system and after it finished it showed one of the o/s options as a 'recovered' windows 7 64bit that I thought I had lost during a previous problem which I thought was gone for good.
    How do I get rid of the recovered version as it is out of date and not relevent anymore.
    I only want one o/s version to boot to not an option?
    A similar thing shows up when you install over xp it gives you the choice to boot to either. how do i fix this? thanks

2. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

This is not a true fix as you'll need to delete the partition as well

Go to Start > Run, and type msconfig,click the Boot tab, select the OS you want to remove and choose delete.

To delete the partition I would use GParted.

You can download it here:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

3. roscored1000

roscored1000 New Member

I will give it a try. To be honest I am not sure where the 'recovered' system is hidden. It may have been a backup from long ago that it is using. thanks for the response

4. roscored1000

roscored1000 New Member

It worked!!!
    Thanks for that. The other was a backup hidden in a windows file on 'g' drive.

5. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Glad to hear it!