Windows 7 freezing problem

Koen

Okay, been hunting around for some kind of solution to this problem. I've run virus checkers, checked my drivers. I don't know what the problem is. Starting to think it's something very fundamental though since it occurred even while in Safe Mode.

Basically random applications freeze at different times. I can literally be using one program and it will freeze, click on another program and start using it till the freeze on the original program is done. It's about 30 or so seconds and my mouse still works fine. Sometimes when it starts to freeze I can minimize it. I can't bring up task manager while it's freezing and after using the computer for long enough, it will tend to go away, but when i turn it off and on again or let it into sleep mode, the problem will come back. At first I thought I needed the windows hotfix kb2265716 but when i tried to install it, it said the update was not applicable to my computer.

I was certain it was the right version, but now I'm just confused. This is really annoying.
Can anyone help?

I'm using Pareto Logic Health Advisor, Spybot Search and Destroy and Clamwin.
AV does stand for anti-virus right?

I never heard of Clamwin. Some of the optimizer programs can cause problems too. I had similar trouble with AVG years ago and dumped it. It didn't like the download I saved of SP2 for XP and cause pauses. I use Avast free and a lot of people here like the MS security essentials.
Joe

Well actually that's the thing, the computer is new and it started displaying these problems within a day or two, pretty much after I finished setting up transferring all my info from my old computer, which was fine. However the problem isn't constant, sometimes when I turn it on, it won't have a thing wrong with it. I lost the receipt, otherwise I'd return it for a new one.
It also came with a free McAfee subscription for a few months.

Last edited:
I would try to check your hardware for any issues, use system check provided by manufacturer.
RAM test, HDD test are basic test to consider.

Did you use the McAffee removal tool? sometimes AV programs leave nasty stuff behind after installation. Most AV companies have a cleanup program
Joe

The problem was there before I installed any anti-virus software. Therefore it's safe to say the anti-virus stuff has nothing to do with this problem. I installed them only because I was having this problem.

In fact the only programs I installed when I started were all from company websites like yahoo, google and microsoft. Also one from disc I bought at a store. I'm fairly certain that it's not a virus.

Last edited:
No, I've not used Bittorrent. I don't consider it a program worth getting.

*sigh* At this rate I'll have to take it to a professional, but that costs money. I don't want to spend more money.

I sent back a toshiba a660 with an I7 processor windows 7 64bit and IE 9 because of the difficulty I had with accessing web sites. Sometimes I could get to the site by entering refresh and other times it would just sit there until I got an error message. these problems were out of the box issues and were not occurring on my P205 running Vista and IE 9. Microsoft support used remote access to try and fix the problem using Microsoft Fix-it. It looked like the fix worked but a few hours later the problem was still going on. I guess I'll hang onto my P205 and Vista until I see that Microsoft acknowledges there was a problem and have fixed it. I don't have the patience to spend hours trying to debug their problems..
No, I've not used Bittorrent. I don't consider it a program worth getting.

*sigh* At this rate I'll have to take it to a professional, but that costs money. I don't want to spend more money.

I sent back a toshiba a660 with an I7 processor windows 7 64bit and IE 9 because of the difficulty I had with accessing web sites. Sometimes I could get to the site by entering refresh and other times it would just sit there until I got an error message. these problems were out of the box issues and were not occurring on my P205 running Vista and IE 9. Microsoft support used remote access to try and fix the problem using Microsoft Fix-it. It looked like the fix worked but a few hours later the problem was still going on. I guess I'll hang onto my P205 and Vista until I see that Microsoft acknowledges there was a problem and have fixed it. I don't have the patience to spend hours trying to debug their problems..
I tried contacting Microsoft, but it turns out that cause my machine is an Acer, they've told me that I have to go to Acer to get free customer support.
On an odd note, turns out the problem goes away after waiting a while with the computer on and if I just put the computer in sleep mode instead of turning it off, the problem doesn't come back... till I turn the computer off and on. Then the problem comes back and then goes away after a while.
Very mysterious.

Back