Windows 7 Full RAM Potential

sammmmmy195

My windows 7 64bit PC which I have recently built says that there is 4gb of RAM on my system (which there is) but only 3.5gb of which is usable. I have an 880GMA-UD2H giga-byte motherboard. When I enter the BIOS I can't seem to see a memory remap option, although maybe I've just missed it. Suggestions?

That board has a onboard GPU so some memory will be 'stolen' so it can be used by the graphics:

Here's a review from Hardware Secrets:
Let’s take a look at the Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H, a micro-ATX, socket AM3 motherboard from Gigabyte based on the AMD 880G chipset, featuring five SATA-600 ports, two USB 3.0 ports, and two PCI Express x16 slots.

We have already posted a detailed comparison between AMD chipsets with integrated video. In summary, the AMD 880G chipset is based on the Radeon HD 4250 graphics engine, which is a slower version of the graphics engine used on the AMD 890GX (Radeon HD 4290). Normally, the AMD 890GX uses a new south bridge chip, called SB850, and the AMD 880G uses the older SB710 south bridge. SB850 natively supports SATA-600 ports (a.k.a. “SATA 6 G”) and it is the first chipset with this feature (currently on motherboards based on other chipsets featuring SATA-600 ports an external controller chip must be used). Gigabyte used the SB850 south bridge instead of the SB710 on the 880GMA-UD2H, so this motherboard offers the native SATA-600 ports.

As you may know by now, on systems with integrated video the video memory is achieved by stealing part of the main RAM. Chipsets from AMD have a feature called SidePort, which is an optional memory chip soldered on the motherboard in order to increase video memory. The portrayed motherboard doesn’t have this feature.

See full article: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
I have my own graphics card (Radeon HD5830, don't know if that matters though), can that not run itself without stealing the RAM? I have also encoutnered a new problem, My windows experience index (due to the graphics card) is just 1. Could my card not have been detected? Are these two problems related? I am not an expert and need all the help I can get, thanks a lot guys.

I have my own graphics card (Radeon HD5830, don't know if that matters though), can that not run itself without stealing the RAM? I have also encoutnered a new problem, My windows experience index (due to the graphics card) is just 1. Could my card not have been detected? Are these two problems related? I am not an expert and need all the help I can get, thanks a lot guys.

Yes it can but it's actually the 'onboard' graphics which is using the RAM.
Sounds like you need a driver.. Download the latest version here: Graphics Drivers & Software

Do you have the onboard video chipset turned off in the BIOS? That may be causing your issues.

Press DELETE key during bootup and go to Integrated Peripherals, the in the Video section select disable for the onboard video and also choose PCI-E as the boot option.

Back