Windows 10 FYI Speeds

Drew

Banned
Maybe, some will find this interesting.

I am running Windows 10 on a 2 processor, 4GB RAM, VM

Host is i7 w/ 8GB RAM.

Boot after entering P/W is basically instant.
General operation speed is mostly a matter of can I click fast enough to keep pace w/ it, as in WHOOOOSH!

Anyway, here's the interesting tidbit...
Run an Internet connection speed test & the results are, slightly, higher for both Download & Upload spds on the Win 10 VM than for the 8.1 Host machine.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Hi

I've observed the big boost in boot times, from the time I hit the button selecting Windows 10 it's about 15 seconds, (that includes the time it takes me to type in my code), for Windows 8 it is much longer.

I noticed that Windows 10 at least at this point has a lot fewer items in the startup list, I only have 3 item starting at boot.

One is Rocketdock, one is Adobe Gamma Loader and one has to do with file encryption.

A few I have disabled but, none of the Nvidia, and other things that are there in Windows 8 are shown in Windows 10.

Mike

Hi

I've observed the big boost in boot times, from the time I hit the button selecting Windows 10 it's about 15 seconds, (that includes the time it takes me to type in my code), for Windows 8 it is much longer.

I noticed that Windows 10 at least at this point has a lot fewer items in the startup list, I only have 3 item starting at boot.

One is Rocketdock, one is Adobe Gamma Loader and one has to do with file encryption.

A few I have disabled but, none of the Nvidia, and other things that are there in Windows 8 are shown in Windows 10.

Mike

Mike, I have nothing running @ Startup (anything there might be, I disable), not in 10 or any other OS. My note was more about the Connection spds than the crazy-fast boot time & general, quick, usage spd of 10. But, what you've had to say is interesting. Certainly, the redesigned boot process is noticeable.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Run an Internet connection speed test & the results are, slightly, higher for both Download & Upload spds on the Win 10 VM than for the 8.1 Host machine

Do you have the screen shots of the before and after or from OS to OS. The reason I ask is; I just ran speedtest.net and I get the same speeds as I did before. DL speed 9.75 mbps/upl speed of .75 all most I dentical.

Do you have the screen shots of the before and after or from OS to OS. The reason I ask is; I just ran speedtest.net and I get the same speeds as I did before. DL speed 9.75 mbps/upl speed of .75 all most I dentical.

No, Jim, but, from memory was about 50.x on the Host & 53.x on the VM. Upload was ever so slightly higher on the VM but, not by much... both somewhere around 3.2. The larger difference was in the Download spds.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Hi

I'm seeing download speed of 29.67 Mbps, and upload speeds of 6.06 Mbps.

I don't remember exactly what they were in Windows 8 but I think this is slightly faster.

Then next time I boot into 8 I run the tests and see how they stack up.

Mike

Hi

I logged into Windows 8, (it seems to take forever now that I'm used to 10) and I found the ping test results to be almost exactly the same.

I ran the test several times with the same results.

Download speed 29.68 and upload speeds of 6.08 and 6.10 on two different tests.

So it seems that the results for Windows 8 and 10 are the same.

Mike

In my case, the OS has little to do with it. I am in the country, with slow copper wire connections. My download/upload speeds are very poor and even go down a little when sharing on my particular section, such as at weekends. My wife, for example, is still using an old laptop with Windows 7,.At this very moment, I have a grandchild staying, to whom, for an emergency, I have loaned an antique Laptop running XP. Upload/download speeds , reasonably closely, follow those speeds for which I have subscribed, from my ISP, on all three computers.

Hi

I feel lucky that I can get a connection with the speeds I do now.
I too live out in the country and for years I had to have a dial up connection after most of the people I know had DSL or cable.

I finally went to Dish for my TV, but there was no real option for internet.

A friend of mine who lives only 2 miles north of me still has to have Hughes Net for his internet connection though I think he could get Wireless via Verizon or something like that now.

When Comcast finally ran cable down our road it was like a revelation.
Not having to sit for minutes for everything to load, and the ability to send images with my mail etc.

I still can't get a DSL connection where I live.

I had, had to quit playing Wow because I couldn't download the updates any more, now I could play anything online.

I understand that if you live in Britton virtually everyone has fast internet at a low cost.

My friend Keith who lives in Scotland sent me a clip about how the last few island in the far north off the coast had gotten wired for high speed connections.

Sadly this is another place where the US lags behind much of the world.

Mike

Last edited:
I don't see how comparing download speeds is useful for comparing the OS speeds. I get the same download speed on a Windows 7 host and a Windows 10 guest on VMware Player.
Joe

Yeah, me too.
I don't think it makes any difference.
But I never compared them before.

Back