Windows 7 Gadgets disappeared

Lazure

The gadgets on my desktop were there this morning, but upon rebooting, they were gone! I can no longer access them. I right click the desktop, and click 'Gadgets...' and nothing happens either. Is there a way to fix this? I miss my slideshow/weather thingies already.

Wait, so in order to have gadgets, we are now required to be annoyed by that UAC? Crud.

Last edited:
Well, luckily the gadgets work if I put it on the low setting, it doesn't bug me as much... but it's enabled enough to keep my gadgets going. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Lazure
I had exactly the same problem and could'nt figure it out. (Thought it was a beta bug or somthing), anyway, I installed Yahoo's newest widget program, selected some cool widgets and it works great..... I may go back and reset my UAC's to the lowest setting and get my original gadget's back. Greg

Gadget fix w/o activating UAC

This is all you have to do to activate your desktop gadgets w/o activating UAC.

1. Open the Registry Editor, or regedit.exe. You can search for regedit in the Start Menu.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings
3. Right-click and create a new DWORD (32-Bit) Value called AllowElevatedProcess.
4. Right-click AllowElevatedProcess and click Modify. Set the value to 1. Close the registry editor. Your gadgets should work with UAC off now.

Enjoy

Back