Windows Vista GAH! it says im connected to the internet but nothing goes online. please help ASAP.

Black_Raven546

GAH! it says im connected to the internet but nothing goes online. has screens!

Im the big PC nerd but networking has always been my flaw since windows 98. so heres what happened

I had to do a manual uninstall of panda antivirus (not fun)
and the same day i was having wifi issues.
and now when im in windows 7 it connects to the internet and says its connected. but everything like FireFox and my IM programs (or anything that goes online) wont go online! i know im not banned from my router when i was trying to get my neighbors computer off it because when i boot into vista (same MAC same LAN IP) it connects no problems.

did i F*** something up in the internet connections? did i delete a internet driver or something? cause i know in onld win 98 you could mess up the homegroup settings or something and it wouldnt connect.

other notes: when in windows 7 neither my built in wifi card, my USB wifi card not my ethernet works.
so i know its not a hardware issue because vista works just fine (but its slow i want my fast 7 back)

side question: ive still got my build 7000 ISO can i reinstall (or repair) my instalation with it without formatting?

edit: heres screen shots (192.168.2.1 is my router thats why i pinged it)
vista http://i40.tinypic.com/20z2wxw.jpg (notice how i advertise my deviantart page :p)
Win7 http://i39.tinypic.com/2z3p54w.jpg

Last edited:
Im the big PC nerd but networking has always been my flaw since windows 98. so heres what happened

I had to do a manual uninstall of panda antivirus (not fun)
and the same day i was having wifi issues.
and now when im in windows 7 it connects to the internet and says its connected. but everything like FireFox and my IM programs (or anything that goes online) wont go online! i know im not banned from my router when i was trying to get my neighbors computer off it because when i boot into vista (same MAC same LAN IP) it connects no problems.

did i F*** something up in the internet connections? did i delete a internet driver or something? cause i know in onld win 98 you could mess up the homegroup settings or something and it wouldnt connect.

other notes: when in windows 7 neither my built in wifi card, my USB wifi card not my ethernet works.
so i know its not a hardware issue because vista works just fine (but its slow i want my fast 7 back)
side question: ive still got my build 7000 ISO can i reinstall (or repair) my instalation with it without formatting?

It is indeed frustrating to find oneself in situations like you are in after a lot of time is spent on installing software, uninstalling offending hardware and software only to find that nothing seems to be working OK despite the efforts :-(

Having said that, unlike one -on- one direct technical support on phone where the two parties can exchange information live using spoken language, and clarify things fast, a Forum like this depends entirely on posted written informtion about the problem, its chronology and the hardware and software environment in which it is happening. Therefore it is always better to give more and not minimal information about the hardware and software of the system in trouble and what led to the problem and what has been already tried to troubleshoot. The Forum in addition to trying to help a single individual with a computer question, plays an even bigger role of archiving the information for others seeking answers to the same or similar problems and therefore clear communication is of vital importance.

Basically what we know is that you have a Windows VISTA and Windows 7 Beta dual boot system in the problem computer. Although VISTA has no problem , with the same hardware setup, Win 7 Beta cannot access the Internet using Firefox browser through the computer's NIC> Router> Broadband Modem. I presume you are using a Wireless Router with a few LAN ports and for this scenario only the Ethernet wired portion is relevant. Apparently the present Internet access problem followed a manual removal of Panda Antivirus program. There is a mention about "windows 7 it connects to the internet and says its connected" and it is not clear where it shows Internet connected.

With the above data , my approach will be to try and setup Internet connection once again.

For that I will acertain from Device Manager that the Network adapters are all propely installed and there are no obvious error symbols.
  1. Right-click Computer >Properties> Device Manager [ in the left pane of System window]
  2. Verify there are no ! or ? on a yellow background against any devices , especially Network adapters ( both NIC and Wireless)
  3. If there is any problem Right click the nnn -nnnn-nnn Networking controller and /or nnn-nnn-nnn Wireless Device and Update Driver Software... and navigate to the driver source and install
  4. Once NIC and /or Wireless device setup is finished successfully, power off the Router , Modem and the Computer and Isolate the Router from the system to connect the Modem directly to the Computer using straight through Cat5 /Cat6 Ethernet cable from Modems Ethernet Port to PC's LAN Port. and Power On the Modem.
  5. When Modem's Power LED and Cable or DSL LED are lit solid, restart PC .
  6. Launch Control Panel and in Category view locate Network and Internet and from below that click View network status and task.
  7. If you see you are already connected to the Internet via your Modem, you can launch your Firefox and try to browse.
  8. If you are not connected., or had still problem in Firefox, from View network status and task, in bottom halflocate Change your network settings: and under that click on Setup a new connection or network
  9. Using the wizard setup your Broadband Internet connection.
  10. Once you can connect to the internet and browse, from your PC thru' LAN and Modem , you know your NIC and Broadband Modem are configured and working OK.
  11. Next Power off the Broadband Modem and remove the ethernet cable from the PC andconnect it to the WAN or Internet Port of the Router.
  12. Connect any numbered LAN port of the Router to the PC's LAN port using a working ethernet cable.
  13. Power On the Modem and wait until Power LED and Cable/DSL LED are lit solid.
  14. Power On the and wait until Power Router , Wireless LEDs are ON and then Power On and Restart The PC
  15. Click Start > and in the Search programs and files box type CMD and press [ENTER]
  16. In the Command prompt [>] type in IPCONFIG /all [ Note a single space after IPCONFIG ] and press ENTER
  17. You should now see the DHCP enabled, IPv4 address 192.168.xx.xxx, Subnet mask 255.255. 255.0, Default Gateway, DHCP server 192.168.xx.x
  18. You may ping a web address to see your Router can get to a DNS address. example at command prompt type : www.Google.com and you should see packets being sent and received without packet loss if your connections are OK.
  19. Now close the Command line and return to desktop
  20. Launch your Browser and see.
I hope this helps.
If you still have problem, give us details of your setup and steps you have done .

nope none of that at all worked. i deciced to ping yahoos ip adress (not yahoo.com but 206.190.60.37) and it worked! so i think something is worng with how my laptop is trying to connect to the DNS server

Test 1

so then i decided to do the same tests on my Vista PArtition and i get this (remember the vista partition CAN go online)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

1st thing i notice is that the ip configuration is different

Code:
windows 7
   Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mikes-Lappy
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Windows Vista
   Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mikes-Laptop
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
could that be causing it?

also whats up with the odd chars when i ping in w7?

Code:
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=50
Ping statistics for AHå?_ÿÿÿ¬ô?:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Back