Games running abnormaly slow

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by MajorTom, Jul 15, 2010.

1. MajorTom

MajorTom New Member

Hello people, I just put windows 7 on my Toshiba M305D-S4380 and I have loved it up until this point.
    Any game that I try to run, runs way slower than I've previously been able to run them.
    For instance, Garrysmod before was around 50 - 60 fps
    Now, its around 20.
    Ive tried to deal with this but I'm sick of my laptop not using its full potential.
    Note that I HAVE been able to run these fast, so please do not post saying my laptop can't run them well. I once ran crysis on my laptop at low settings [​IMG]

Anyway, Specs:
    Toshiba M305D-S4380
    Ati Radeon 3100
    4 gigs of ram
    Amd turon ultra x2 @ 2.1 GHZ
    250 gig HD

With vista they ran much faster, and yes, I did update my graphics card drivers, which seemed to help a little but not much. Help is appreciated [​IMG]

2. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

Hi and welcome.

You can type msinfo32 in the start menu then hit enter. File | save on the screen that opened. Then zip the saved file and attach to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply. We might be able to see something.

3. MajorTom

MajorTom New Member

4. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

The video driver is almost a year old, at 8/18/2009. You could try to update it from here by installing the latest motherboard/integrated driver. If that doesn't install well, then check with Toshiba for an updated driver that may be newer than the date shown.

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

---

Other than that, nothing really stands out too much that would slow down games.

5. MajorTom

MajorTom New Member

Downloading the newest catalyst driver.
    Would it have anything to do with w7 ultimate versus w7 professional?
    Edit: updating helped a bit, but I still think its not running full potential

#5 MajorTom, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

No, Windows 7 version level (Ultimate, Professional or otherwise) makes no difference as far as game performance goes. See how it goes after updating the video driver. :)

I see that you have uTorrent starting with Windows. If it is doing any type of file transfers or there are active torrents, this could have a bit of an effect on the cpu and game performance. Try closing it before starting a game also.

If still not really good, try disabling any throttling going on it the bios for the cpu, if it is currently being throttled at all.

#6 TorrentG, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. MajorTom

MajorTom New Member

Its not utorrent Im sure, and my bios isnt throttling the cpu. Guess Ill have to live with it >_<