Windows 7 Getting a scroll bar in the explorer navigation pane?

The horizontal scroll bar in the navigation pane within explorer was removed. The navigation pane will auto scroll left and right with your mouse wheel if you select anything in the navigation pane and the navigation pane itself is resizeable on the fly by placing your mouse on the vertical scroll bar until it turns to a double sided arrow and you can drag it to the right.

The horizontal scroll bar in the navigation pane within explorer was removed.

Oh no.

The navigation pane will auto scroll left and right with your mouse wheel if you select anything in the navigation pane
Which is it? auto or with mouse wheel? Nothing auto scrolls, and using the mouse wheel scrolls the list up and down.

and the navigation pane itself is resizeable on the fly by placing your mouse on the vertical scroll bar until it turns to a double sided arrow and you can drag it to the right.

Yes I know, but this is totally lame behavior, that I have to constantly re size and have it take up 80% of the screen to be able to see paths.

Typical of microsoft :(

Sorry, you're correct, Windows 7 also dropped the Dymanic Multi-Dimensional Scrolling that was present in vista. So there is no left and right scrolling left in Windows 7. My apologies for the mis-information. All we are left with for items in the navigation pane that are practically off the right side is the ability to hover over briefly for a tool tip type effect that reveals the full name. For items that are completely to the right of the pane we are left with resizing the pane to view them. No horizontal scroll bar and no dynamic scrolling. Not sure what they were thinking.

I get a horizontal scroll bar if I have Explorer set to "List View".
But not if I have it set to any of the icon settings.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Good point Mike, but somehow I got the impression from his origianal post and attached image file that he was specifically referenceing the navigation pane only. Not sure, could be wrong. It seems more often than not lately.

No you are right, I asked about the left pane in what used to be called Explorer (not sure if they call it something else in windows 7).

I see what you mean looking at your pic now, the reason I didn't get it was because I do have a scroll bar in the left pain of the Explorer Window on my computer!

This may be because I'm using Classic Shell, I didn't notice whether I had one before that or not.

Welcome to Classic Shell

I have used this since I got my new computer and it works great.

Mike

I see what you mean looking at your pic now, the reason I didn't get it was because I do have a scroll bar in the left pain of the Explorer Window on my computer!
This may be because I'm using Classic Shell, I didn't notice whether I had one before that or not.
Mike

Eeee. It's amazing what you can do when you read instructions. I've just found the "switch" for that. And I've only used Classic Shell for 9 months!!

Welcome to Classic Shell

I have used this since I got my new computer and it works great.

Ah, interesting. A tweak program.

It doesn't slow your computer down?

Not that I've ever noticed. In fact with the reference to 8 months in my previous post. I'd actually forgot it was installed. In the time its taken for FF to use 108,000 k Explorer has used about the same, Handicapslock (all that does is make you have to double click the caps button to use) has used 2,500 and Classic Shell a measly 4,000. So not a lot I'd say

Ok. One thing though, it says its a replacement for the start menu - can that be disabled? I like the start menu as it is now in Windows 7, its just annoying to me that that scroll bar isn't there.

Hi

I'm really happy with it, works great.

I used Windows 7 for a year before it went live in it's normal configuration but when I got my new computer I was frustrated by the folders jumping up and down in windows Explore.

Also having to scroll up and down to find one of the 70 or so programs I have installed on my computer, when I clicked on the start orb, someone suggested Classic Shell, I installed it and never went back.

It's free so I doesn't cost anything to give it a try.

Mike

Its just been my experience that installing things tend to slow windows down over time, and uninstall always seems to leave a few things behind.

This is a tiny program 4.2 mb that can be turned on and off if needed.
I've never found a reason to turn it off or noticed any down side.
I've been using it for about a year now.

I'd also like to suggest CCleaner, a little program that cleans all the junk out of your computer in just a few seconds. I'm guessing that almost everyone here uses it.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Last edited:
Ok. One thing though, it says its a replacement for the start menu - can that be disabled? I like the start menu as it is now in Windows 7, its just annoying to me that that scroll bar isn't there.
Yeah. You can leave the Start menu exactly as it is now, or with a few mods, or totally change it. I've gone the few mods route (Get a flyout when I click on all programs).

All those years I spent getting my XP Start Menu to look and act like Vista/Seven.

Now I've got Seven........

Last edited:
This is what the start menu looks like and also why I don't want to scroll up and down to find things.

Chuffin 'ell Mike. You like your softwares!! No wonder you don't like the scrolling All Programs Window. ;)

Back
Top Bottom