Windows 7 ghost files1

anon125

Hp came with two drives. vista 64
set it back to factory specs and installed win7 64.
seem okay.
just noticed that the other drive is empty - correct.
but properties says there is 43GB there!
it is set up to show hidden files.
how do i tell win7 64 that hey! the drive is empty.
thanks

Can you open disk management and take a snipping tool picture of the window? Then attach with the paperclip.

Make sure the partitions are annotated so we can see what they are...

Also confirm you have it set up to show the protected operating system?

i don't know enuf to get the pics you meann.
but maybe these would help.
thanks

Attachments

• oddwin7.JPG
    oddwin7.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 333
  • whereare the files.JPG
    whereare the files.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 370
i don't know enuf to get the pics you meann.
but maybe these would help.
thanks
Click the start orb and type
disk management
into the search box and hit enter
click the maximize box top right of window between the X (close button) and the - (minimize button) so it fills the whole screen
Now click the start orb again, then all programs, then accessories, then snipping tool
In the snipping tool click new then window snip and then click the maximized disk management window
This should produce an image file for you to save and attach to your next post as Saltgrass has requested.
Regards
Randy

here is the disk management

i also tried the microsoft "fix it portable"

it renamed the thumb drive!
but no help.

thanks

Attachments

• diskmagmt.JPG
    diskmagmt.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
I was trying to get an idea of how the drives are set up, not the individual partitions. If you include the graphical depiction, we can tell.

My concern is that with multiple drives, installs may not be the way you assume.

Something like the attached...

Attachments

• UEFI Drive.GIF
    UEFI Drive.GIF
    20.1 KB · Views: 399
i doubt there are partitions in this drive.
is what i posted what you need?
thanks

Re my earlier post.
Open Windows explorer.
Click the "tools" tab, and then "Folder Options", then "View"

Scroll down and UNtick "Hide protected Operating System"
Close and reopen the Windows explorer and see if any files/folders are no showing in the previously empty drive.

Re my earlier post.
Open Windows explorer.
Click the "tools" tab, and then "Folder Options", then "View"

Scroll down and UNtick "Hide protected Operating System"
Close and reopen the Windows explorer and see if any files/folders are no showing in the previously empty drive.
thanks
this is what i found - only MBs

Attachments

• edrive data.JPG
    edrive data.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 324
They should all be 0 bytes, but delete them all under recycle bin and recheck the properties of the whole drive.

I also notice the partition is set to compress. Since some of the items in the recycle bin are from 2008, could there be some type of compressed files not recognized? Have you ever run any third party software that might hide data?

Maybe running a third party partition management utility would show something, or using it to recover files.

I never got the picture I wanted, but it looks like your install is fairly normal. The boot files are in the primary OS partition. It just seems strange the size you seem to be looking for is just about what a normal OS install partition would take.

i deleted the old files in that recycle bin and emptied the main recycle bin.
no change to the 43GB still in drive E.
if you tell me how i will get the info you need.
i am considering reformatting the e drive. which format should i use FAT or the other one.
thanks

Format in the default - NTFS, if that is the way you want to go. But please, before you do that, go back to post number 5 and follow Troubles request. You may be formatting a boot drive, with other data on it, or something essentia to the running of your OS.
You may find it simpler to post a snip like this:
Following Trouble's first line (to "so it fills the whole screen") hit the ALT and Print Screen keys, at the same time.
Open the built in "paint" program from the menu. Click the Ctrl and V keys. This will reproduce your captured image. Save as, somewhere, and post it in this thread.

please see attached - i also did a close up of the other info incase the print was too small!
thanks

Attachments

• disk mgmt close up.JPG
    disk mgmt close up.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 322
  • disk management.jpg
    disk management.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 350
Back
Top Bottom