Ghosting with two partitions?

Tux

on my laptop, running the grub bootloader, debian as the main os, and windows 7 as the secondary, how can i ghost it to a larger drive (from 250 split into two partitions, into 500 split into 2 partitions, 250 gigs for each)?
im wondering this, because when i ghost the drive using norton ghost, it tries to copy grub, then it gives me error 17 when i try to boot up. help?
sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

You can clone the whole disk from a smaller to a larger one with the freeware EASEUS Todo Backup. However, I'm not sure you won't have to modify your Grub loader after doing this.

Tux

another question, when i make a full backup using the windows backup thing, does it backup everything? including registry and my registration key for win7?

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
I've always found Acronis True Image good for cloning. You can download a full working copy as a trial.

(Just an aside - have you confirmed that your laptop can handle a 500gb drive - many are limited to 320gb)?

Tux

it does take a 500gb drive just fine.
i figured out what i was gonna do, im just gonna load backtrack, then load windows 7, fix grub, then restore.
does the restoration load all of the partition and the programs i had installed, and my windows key?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.