Windows 7 “God Mode”

Enable “God Mode” in Windows Server 2008/R2, Windows 7 and Vista

When you want to customize your workstation (and sometimes, even your server), you usually turn to "regular" configuration tools such as Control Panel applets, the computer's registry, command line tools and even the computer's local Group Policy. In most cases, using these tools allows you to get the job done and configure your computer the way YOU want it.

However, there are times where you need to make one small tweak, one small change, and you simply cannot find the correct Control Panel applet to make the change you need.

Note: While initially discovered for Windows 7, it seems that this tweak works for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

To enable "God Mode" follow these steps:
1. Right click on any blank space on your desktop.

2. Click new from the menu and create a New Folder.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

3. Rename the folder as follow:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

4. Once the folder has been renamed, the folder icon will

change too. Now, simply double-click on the GodMode folder.

Bingo. over 200 separate configuration options, settings and tweaks available to you, all handily located in one folder!

In fact, when you collapse the different sections of the GodMode folder, it seems that it's identical to what you can find in the Control Panel. However, unlike the Control Panel's different applets, in GodMode you handily see all the hundreds of settings listed in front of you, and you need not have to dig down layers of tabs and different applet views just to find what you're looking for.

When you perform a search both in this "God Mode" and in the Control Panel, you get similar results, just listed in a different manner.

"God Mode" for Windows 7, Server 2008 & Vista

i personally don't like god mode. Its just not my type of thing
I think it should be on by default. That way those of us helping others could tell them right click desktop and choose 'Admin Mode' and go to it and do this.
It's just a collection of shortcuts to change things with the PC.

As an alternative to "God" Mode, one can individually create shortcuts by dragging and dropping (or copy-pasting) items from control panel to a folder on hard drive.

I think it should be on by default. That way those of us helping others could tell them right click desktop and choose 'Admin Mode' and go to it and do this.
It's just a collection of shortcuts to change things with the PC.
I just don't think it's as organized as the control panel

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

I just don't think it's as organized as the control panel

It has 278 items under different categories. Using drag and drop method, you can create your own Control Panel of only those items that you really need: )

God Mode.PNG

That is exactly what it did here on the Vista Ultimate 64-bit lappy.
Wham! Hosed!

I have used it on a 64 bit W7 machine for well over a year with no problems, A blanket statement like it will hose a 64 bit machine is totally inaccurate. What service in "God Mode" did you use that hosed your machine. All god mode does is bring together the various individual items you could find and run under W7 individually and puts them in one place of folder called "God Mode" it is not a program but a folder that contains a lot of Programs consolidated in one folder.
I have used it on a Vista 32 bit machine no problem. I do not have a 64 Bit Vista machine so I cannot comment on whether it works on a Vista 64 bit machine

Last edited:
From answers. Microsoft.com and many other places.

godmode is not compatible with Vista 64bit
Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode' | Beyond Binary - CNET News. If you can use the command line(start, type 'cmd', press enter) try the article at the bottom of this page: How to delete files and folders : Cyber Tech Help
To find the 'godmode' folder to delete it the normal way, search 'godmode' in the start menu, right-click and select 'open file location', than delete it (you probably won't be able to do this)
I hope this helps.

From answers. Microsoft.com and many other places.

godmode is not compatible with Vista 64bit
Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode' | Beyond Binary - CNET News. If you can use the command line(start, type 'cmd', press enter) try the article at the bottom of this page: How to delete files and folders : Cyber Tech Help
To find the 'godmode' folder to delete it the normal way, search 'godmode' in the start menu, right-click and select 'open file location', than delete it (you probably won't be able to do this)
I hope this helps.

Proved to be a disaster here on my Vista Ultimate 64-bit laptop.

It can be done w/out any 'tricks'... I have it in a Misc. Tools folder, as an icon in Quick Launch & on a USB I carry around to clients. I offer it or put it in many of my client's machines. I wanted to put it here for y'all but, can't put a 'file' here from my HDD & of course, it won't Copy/Paste from there to here. It's a very cool thing, much more than what's in the CP, nice to have so much all in 1 place & so nicely presented and it's appealing when just clicking an icon opens it to you.... then nothing has to be done to 'get' it, no manipulations needed.... nothing required to 'create' it. IF there is a way to put it here for you, I don't see it or I'm not thinking up a way, @ the moment, sorry. I'd be happy to hear if it is doable... if so, I'll drop it in, right away.
It makes things a lot easier & quicker, especially for people that might find it more attractive than trying to find the same things via the CP.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
I wanted to put it here for y'all but, can't put a 'file' here
A shortcut file is actually specific to your machine although it works anywhere.
It is better to create that link on their machine

456 Windows 7 x86 and x64 shortcuts in one folder.a complete list of shortcut commands and works in both Windows 7 and Win8

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
I have been using this code on vista and now on my new machine got 270 items to edit with,just watch your numbers and be sure to use the open and close brackets.

Has anyone tested it on windows 8, or it just works on Win 7, vista, and server 08

Back
Top Bottom