Windows 7 “God Mode”

Enable “God Mode” in Windows Server 2008/R2, Windows 7 and Vista

When you want to customize your workstation (and sometimes, even your server), you usually turn to "regular" configuration tools such as Control Panel applets, the computer's registry, command line tools and even the computer's local Group Policy. In most cases, using these tools allows you to get the job done and configure your computer the way YOU want it.

However, there are times where you need to make one small tweak, one small change, and you simply cannot find the correct Control Panel applet to make the change you need.

Note: While initially discovered for Windows 7, it seems that this tweak works for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

To enable "God Mode" follow these steps:
1. Right click on any blank space on your desktop.

2. Click new from the menu and create a New Folder.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

3. Rename the folder as follow:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

4. Once the folder has been renamed, the folder icon will

change too. Now, simply double-click on the GodMode folder.

Bingo. over 200 separate configuration options, settings and tweaks available to you, all handily located in one folder!

In fact, when you collapse the different sections of the GodMode folder, it seems that it's identical to what you can find in the Control Panel. However, unlike the Control Panel's different applets, in GodMode you handily see all the hundreds of settings listed in front of you, and you need not have to dig down layers of tabs and different applet views just to find what you're looking for.

When you perform a search both in this "God Mode" and in the Control Panel, you get similar results, just listed in a different manner.

"God Mode" for Windows 7, Server 2008 & Vista

I have. It is just perfectly fine w/ Windows8

See, this is Windows8 ----> Screenshot 22.JPG

Cheers,
Drew

[h=2]Enable & Open God Mode on Windows 7/8[/h]1. On your Windows desktop right click on desktop to create a new Folder. Then rename the newly created folder as:

2. Then folder icon will change to Control Panel icon with now name as ‘God Mode’on the desktop. Double click it to open.

I remember this and have used this before...I tried this and like before it has a problem. The I con changes and it appears to be going to the right place but the icon name didn't change automaticly...am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• God Mode Example.jpg
    God Mode Example.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 827
Hi

I don't know, I just did it.
I had forgotten about this, I did it in Windows 7.

I just did it in Windows 8 and it made a folder named God Mode and everything is in there.

I just right clicked on the desktop, selected new, and then folder and pasted in...

... as the name and it worked.

Mike

That is really strange...I followed the steps...makes me wonder what I am doing to the system that keeps it from changing the name...I had thought that not allowing it to hide the extensions of unknown file types would be the cause but it wasn't...I guess if it isn't going to hurt anything I could always put the original in my Program Files directory and make a shortcut in my Administrator Tools directory, that should be a workable solution. I just hate not knowing what is going on and why it is acting like that.

I know what you mean, it drives me crazy when things don't work right, even when it's something that doesn't make any difference.

I can't tell you how many times I have screwed up my computer trying to fix something that I could just have ignored.

Mike

Hello everyone, just FYI, you can name the folder anything of your choosing, as long as this "{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" remains unchanged.
This has been around since XP and I don't foresee Microsoft changing it, therefore, it will work with every edition of Windows.

Regards
Don

Yup, it's still the same here... in my Windows7Pro. I called it "Ultimate Panel".

Will be holding onto Windows7 for a long time yet. I love it, and it loves me..!

Back