Windows 7 Google Desktop

jimthom

I saved my igoogle home page as an mht file before Google stopped supporting it and it is running just fine in Windows 8.1, IE 11. Google desktop is also working well on my 8.1 machine. Since upgrading from IE 10 to IE 11 on my Windows 7 Pro machine neither Google Desktop nor my mht file are working. I think it may have something to do with ActiveX, but I carefully compared all of the IE settings on both machines an they seem to be identical.

If anyone has any ideas to try it would be appreciated.

Thank you,
jimthom

Thanks for the reply. IE opens the mht file but the links to google gadget no longer work on my Windows 7 machine. They work on my Windows 8.1 machine. Running IE11on both machines. Also, Google desktop is the same. When using it to do a search it still opens the browser on 8.1 but not Windows 7.

I don't personally use Google search, desktop, etc. because Google abuses your private information. I also have not switched to Windows 8 because I'm happy with Win 7. So, this reply is completely generic and you will hopefully get some suggestions from someone with some specific knowledge. In the meantime, I'll hazard a guess.

Every time any browser goes through a version upgrade, you are likely to find that some of the add-ins, extensions, and gadgets no longer work. In this case, IE11 could be looking for something it finds where it's looking in Win8 but not in Win7; or, the Google add-ins were installed to work properly with IE10, but a different setup is required to work with IE11. As a simple first step, I would uninstall the Google add-ins and then re-install the latest version.

Back