Windows 7 Google Toolbar!!

chitrak gupta

I was trying to upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Win7 32 ultimate. During compatibility check it listed out a number of programs (itunes, google toolbar, intel pro-wireless,etc.) I went and removed them from the Control Panel-> Progams and Features and restarted the upgrade. Again the compatibility check failed and this time only google tool bar was showing though it has been uninstalled from the system. To make be completely sure, I went into the registry and checked on all things google and deleted relevant data. Also ran a registry cleaner. But running the upgrade again, I had the same result with google toolbar. Why is it happening ? :confused::mad::eek::(

Thanks for any inputs..

It might be left over folders in the AppData folder. If you have Hidden files showing you can find "AppData" in your "Username" folder. Then click on the Local or Roaming folders and see if there are folders for it there.

If you don't have it set to show Hidden files:
Call up the "username" folder
Click: Organize
Click: Folder and search options
Click: View tab
Under: Advanced settings
Check the radio button for: Show hidden files, folders and drives
Click: Apply then OK

Then your AppData Folder will show

If the program has been uninstalled it is safe to delete the left over folder.

I went into the AppData folder and its subfolders, deleted all things related to google toolbar. But it still cropped up.. I would not expect an average user to do all this when upgrading.

That's why we don't recommend them,, and wish they would remove the option to do upgrades with the Windows OS install.

Clean install is best.

Yes,

Clean install is the best.

Create a restore point first

First go to Internet Explorer Options, click the Programs tab, click manage Add-ons. If you see an entry for Google toolbar disable it

Try uninstalling it using RevoUninstaller:
Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

The open Regedit and sarch for google eliminating all entries unless you are using it as a search provider.

Also do a search on the hard drive as even Revo leaves seome of these files behind.

Perhaps you have an image from a third party source on your Vista partition. The compatibility check could well be picking it up from that source? Acronis etc., although that is an extreme case.
But, if I remembr correctly, I tyhink the google toolbar can also sit in the Programs folder. Have you looked there.
Third possibility is it is "locked" an the view section of IE.

Open Windows Internet Explorer on your computer.
Click on "View" on the text menu at the top of the screen.
Click on "Toolbars" and then click on the "Lock the toolbars" option if it is checked.
Click on "Toolbars" a second time and click on "Google Toolbar." This will remove the check mark next to the Google toolbar.
Click on "Toolbars" and click the option to lock the toolbars.
Close Windows Internet Explorer. When you reopen the browser, Google toolbar will no longer be displayed on the screen.

Sorry RAK,

but if he does it that way, it's just hiding the toolbar, not getting rid of it.

Crate a restore point, open Regedit and search for every instance of Google Toolbar and remove the entries.

If you have Google as your search provider, do not delete that entry.

Sorry RAK,

but if he does it that way, it's just hiding the toolbar, not getting rid of it.

Crate a restore point, open Regedit and search for every instance of Google Toolbar and remove the entries.

If you have Google as your search provider, do not delete that entry.

I agree, partially! But I am making one suggestion out of three I offered. That particular one is to "unlock" the taskbar - just anothet possibility for his problem.

Back