Graphic Drivers

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by Peterr, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Peterr

Peterr Honorable Member

2. Peterr

Peterr Honorable Member

May I ask if a person is supposed to remove drivers before downloading and installing them? Obviously I am new at this.
    I was reading about driver sweepers but then I read all can be done in the device manager.
    Is this a safe mode task or not?

3. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Peterr,
    yes it is preferable to first remove the original drivers before replacing. To this end a really good application is this Display driver uninstaller found here:
    https://windowsforum.com/threads/display-drivers-uninstaller.179960/
    I always use this myself and includes booting into safe mode which isn't critical but is perhaps the best way of doing things.

4. Peterr

Peterr Honorable Member

When I click here I am directed to Revo however, I did get to the DDU link. I assume it is for Win 8.1, 10 and 64 bit. It will be handy to remember. So I would download my manufacturer driver to desktop. use the DDU either in safe or otherwise then install the new driver.
    Can you also try to uninstall and install in device manager first to see if you have any luck. I am not skilled that is why I ask. Thank you very much.

5. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

You can use the device manager to update drivers although whatever changes you make affect the whole system so it's not like you can test.
    Ultimately it's best if you just stick to the method you outlined above.. :)

6. Peterr

Peterr Honorable Member

Thank you both for your help.