Graphics card issues! Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)' started by Logan123, Jun 22, 2016.

1. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Does it look like this?
    arrow.

2. Logan123

Logan123 Member

yes i see that, is that what i want to use?
    EDIT: whenever i clicked it said my computer did not have the minimum requirements to download it @kemical

3. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Yes give it a try, if it doesn't work then try the windows 7/8.1 folder and run the installer.

4. Logan123

Logan123 Member

it keeps saying my computer doesnt have the minimum requirements to download it??? @kemical (P.S. sorry for putting you through all of this)

5. Logan123

Logan123 Member

I have updated the driver to my AMD Radeon R9 200 Series but i am still getting the black cracks and black screen. I also still have the Unknown Device that people rumor to cause it. @kemical

6. William B

William B Active Member

Are you using an AMD R9 200 GPU solution? Or the Intel I-GPU? look at your video cable and see which one it's attached to because in the screenshot Kemical shows above I see the Intel solution installer that would be for the Intel 4690k I-GPU (intel on chip graphical solution). One thing I would like to know is if you have an AMD R9 200 series GPU (video card/solution) what exact make and model is it? The make should be imprinted on the card itself, and the model is also sometimes on the card itself if not we can get around that by the model number hard stamped on the GPU's main~board aka PCB (printed electronic particle board).

Also given a few of the issues you said you have, ongoing now, knowing your computers power supply solution would be handy because an interrupt / degradation / ripple, which not enough supplied +12v rail AMP's or low quality or a to old power supply can cause. An example would be using an old underpowered 350w no name brand power supply with a rated 16-20 AMP's on the +12v rail trying to power something like an R9 270x.

7. Logan123

Logan123 Member

Alright give me a bit to check my card out

8. Logan123

Logan123 Member

how to I find my power supply solution?
    thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Windows Forums mobile app

9. Logan123

Logan123 Member

[​IMG] that is my power supply @William B

10. William B

William B Active Member

Open the (usual) left side panel of the case (from the front as you stare at the unit) and simply look there at the power supply. Usually a label is affixed to the unit itself with a sticker with the make / model / wattage / and the rated (example) +3.3V@ +5V@, +12V@, -12V@ +5VSB@. Certified Active PFC Power Supply (Or not). ATX Standard etc. Here is an example.

[​IMG]

The main relevant information is pretty simple. The Brand. Total Wattage Rating. Power Supply Rail Information, and finally how old it is, and if it worked before with other similar video solutions, of course assuming something similar to an R9 200 series card before

11. William B

William B Active Member

Ok I see it now I am familiar with that brand. Not the best but is usually ok, and 650W with a +12v @ 64A should be more than enough. Can you please now take a picture of your graphics card? Thanks by the way this helps a lot.

12. Logan123

Logan123 Member

hmm this is my graphics card correct? which numbers do you want from it?[​IMG]

13. William B

William B Active Member

Zooming in I see R9 270 GDDR5. Does this sound correct? looks to be a water cooled gaming PC. Looks like Sapphire or Asus R9 model but not sure. Did you build this unit? Or was this a purchased pre-built? So it looks like you are using an R9 270, with a power supply that should be able to handle it. A few questions.

- Did this PC ever run correctly with that R9 AMD card?
    - Is the card new or did it come with the PC?

14. Logan123

Logan123 Member

i built this pc with custom parts, i believe i bought the graphics driver seperate and the pc ran correctly for about a year and 2 months and then all of the sudden while I was playing a game one day it bluescreened and it never worked after that

15. Logan123

Logan123 Member

[​IMG] it is sapphire and I remember on my pc it said a 270 something so I believe that is correct @William B

16. William B

William B Active Member

Ok this is good to know. Now lets try something out. Remove your card and run the Intel Intel I-GPU by itself. This will remove the load of the power supply having to power that AMD R9 270 I want to see if this could be a power supply issue since you say you have already reinstalled driver and that didn't work. So carefully remove your card and I presume you are comfortable doing this since you built the PC yourself, and then connect your display cable to the back of the PC I/O plate where you will see the Display Input/output ports for your built in Intel. Connect it there -- it should boot ok as the default BIOS setting is "PEG" which will auto-initiate your built in I-GPU. So if you can lets do that and see if you have any graphical anomalies and we can go from there and decide if you might have a card going bad, or a power supply going bad by part swapping.

17. William B

William B Active Member

Oh and before I go for a while, I do see a tiny bit of dust there on your R9 270, but I cannot see the underside where the fans are. I would check that and make sure you don't have an excess of dust built up in those fans as overheating can also play a part in GPU issues and a simple and careful cleaning and compressed air routine can easily fix that.

18. Logan123

Logan123 Member

ok any idea when you will be back. if your here

19. Logan123

Logan123 Member

also I know this will make things difficult but I had help putting it together and I'm not to comfortable removing it. Sorry if this is a hassle. also if this helps, before installing the drivers and such the pc worked fine. get back to me when you can. I will clean the fans and wait to remove it. see ya

EDIT: My system automatically restored itself in startup repair and it works fine whenever it doesnt recognize the graphics card but as soon as i try to use the install disc for the graphics card the computer goes all glitchy. So it must be the graphics card right? Because it worked perfectly fine then stopped and never worked again. Thanks! @William B

#59 Logan123, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  20. bochane

bochane Honorable Member

I found this support page for an Asus AMD R9 270:
    http://www.asus.com/search/results.aspx?SearchKey=AMD%20R9%20270&IsSupport=True
    There are 4 types, look on your card which one you have

You could try downloading the driver from there.

Select drivers, select W7
    (but we have to find out whether it is 32 or 64: to do this rightclick in the Windows Explorer on My computer and it tells you)
    And than select VGA

Have you been up all night? :)

#60 bochane, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016