Windows 7 group policy

zdavid

I've been running Win 7 now for a couple of weeks and have had no serious problems. The one thing I have been seeing has been with our domain group policies. We are running a 2003 domain and have set group policy to map drives on boot up and warn users when that their password is about to expire. Neither is working on the Win7 box. Even when I manually map the drives and select, reconnect at logon, when I reboot all the mapped drives are gone.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Try this

net use e: \\Server\FOLDER\FOLDER /PERSISTENT:yes

See if this works and holds the mapping.
If not, create a new profile and try again.

Unless a logon script , group policy or other thing (software, server setting, conflict with drive letters) is deleting all mapped drives on login?

When you say use a GP to map the drives,, are you using a logon script? Cause that is usually the best way. to my knowledge

Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. We are using a login script to map the drives, it is pushed out by group policy though, so it doesn't matter what computer you login to. The problem is that the script doesn't run when you log on. I can run it manually after I'm on the machine and it works fine. Since this is a login script, persistent doesn't matter, as it should be rerunning each time I log in. That's why I think it may be related to the way Server 2003 group policy communicates with Win7.
Thanks for the help.

That could be, as Win7 really should be run on Server 08, Kernal's are different than 2003.
But have you checked the local systems to make sure they are setup to run the login script?
You have to set the GP on the local machine to look for and run the logon script I think, You can't just set it on the server alone.
My GP skills need improving really. But if the local GP is not set to run a logon script, then that could be the problem.

I guess the real question is, do you have other things in the logon script that are running fine, but not mapping drives?

goto local pc and run gpupdate /force and let it reboot, maybe it's just not pulling it and your systems have not had a full GP update to the local pc.

Can you post your logon script and omit any private info with XXXXXXX in it's place?

Now that I think about it a bit, you say you map them as persistant but when you login, they are gone. Something is running and removing the mappings.
Maybe you have a GP conflict, are you doing any inheriting? blocking? These things can turn into a nightmare.

Last edited:
boot up and warn users when that their password is about to expire

on a side note,,, is this not being done by AD?
That's an function of AD password expiration and doesn't need to be a part of a login script.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom