Grub Rescue

When I just checked the installation summary for hplip, it still shows the old version installed (3.13.10.1.1), with no indication of the new version (3.13.11.1.1) being installed. The same is true of hplip-ijs and hplip-sane.

Got another problem. Though the printer was working properly, I had to configure the scanner portion of it yesterday, by installing hplip, but didn't try to test it until I noticed an HP System tray icon this evening. While exploring the window it produced, I noticed that the update tab indicated that there was a newer version available, so I opted to install it. In the terminal-like window that appeared, it said something about having to login again, after the installation, and after that it said that there were 9 missing dependencies, which I chose to add (actually it installed 20+ items). Lastly, it asked whether to uninstall the old version before installing the new, and I gave a yes to that. I saw the uninstall occur, but it finished so quickly, I didn't have time to see if the new install happened. Apparently not, because the System Tray icon didn't reappear, even after first logging back in, nor after restarting. The only thing that appears in the Launchpad when I type scanner into the search window, is the option to configure it, but it says that no scanner is detected.

I then rechecked whether I could print, but that also faled, so I checked the configuration in Yast, and I found the checkbox for enabling the printer not checked, so I checked it, but I still can't print a page. This brings back memories of the problems I've had in the past with Suse and my printer...how do I solve it?

I am not sure, actually dont have a printer (o.0)
I intended to get one this year but finances never lined up.
You may wish to go over to the openSUSE forums for that one.
Though I do know printing can be a little tricky sometimes in linux, though I am surprised that your HP is having issues as they usually work spot on in linux.

Last edited:
I may go to that forum, but I'm not too likely to. The reason is as I said, I have a history with Suse and my printer not getting along. I don't believe that it has anything to do with my printer in particular, but that Suse is too tricky for my taste. Since Suse apppropriately detected and configured for my printer on initial installation, I'm wondering how to restore it to that state now, even though I never created a backup image for it? Even a complete reinstallation would be preferably to going down this path. If there isn't a better alternative, this may cause me to try some other distro instead.

What do you think...if I deleted everything in Yast's installation summary related to the printer and scanner, then reinstalled it, do you think that would likely fix it?

I really didn't have any idea of what I was doing, but on reinstall it gave me a choice of 4 drivers to select from. I simply took the first one in the list, which appears to be working...at least partially. The HP Device Manager icon is back in the System tray, and I was able to print a test page, as well as print from Firefox and Kwrite, but when I try to do it from Opera, a dialog appears saying that the printer isn't accessible. It is now using the original driver, as far as version number, but I'm not going to touch that update again. Not sure about the scanner yet, I'll try it after posting.

Any idea of how to make Opera see the printer?

I thought that reinstalling Opera might be solution for printer access, so I started to do so with Yast, but the search result for Opera raised some questions I need to ask before proceeding. I would have attached a screenshot, but for some reason the forum won't let me. It just displays a message saying that there was a problem updating the file,with no other explanation. The list it presented included many items that don't appear to have any connection with Opera...at least by name, but is it correct that Opera could use all of them in some fashion...if they were installed?

The second question is that the version of Opera listed in the search is 12.15, instead of 12.16, which is the actual installation. Is there any significance to this mismatch that I should be aware of?

Third question...two of the uninstalled items on the list do have Opera as part of their name, Opera-GTK and Opera-KDE4, both of which show version numbers matching the older uninstalled version of Opera. Should either of these be installed, or would the difference in version numbers cause more problems?

always use the new version if possible.
As for the two versions in the repo, they relate to the main GUI interfaces in linux, GTK and QT.
The difference between them is more about appearance, rather then functionality in the case of opera.

I'll try the upload again:

Opera.png

For some reason, it seems that the problem was only with that last post. Why are all of those other items listed? Just looking at the names, they appear to have to do with more than just appearance.

Another aspect of the printer that I'm curious about is FAXing. I don't intend to actually go into this, because I've not been able to use it since I went to a cable connection, instead of dialup. I was under the impression that my only alternative was to use an online FAX service, but in a phone conversation I had with a rep with the cable company some time ago, he said that he could instruct me on how to make it work on cable, just as it did on dialup, but I use the FAX so little, that we didn't go into it then either.

I understand that you probably aren't very well versed in this. Since you don't have a printer, chances are that you don't have a FAX machine either, but I'm just wondering if Linux can deal with cable FAXing any better or differently than Windows?

Another aspect of the printer that I'm curious about is FAXing. I don't intend to actually go into this, because I've not been able to use it since I went to a cable connection, instead of dialup. I was under the impression that my only alternative was to use an online FAX service, but in a phone conversation I had with a rep with the cable company some time ago, he said that he could instruct me on how to make it work on cable, just as it did on dialup, but I use the FAX so little, that we didn't go into it then either.

I understand that you probably aren't very well versed in this. Since you don't have a printer, chances are that you don't have a FAX machine either, but I'm just wondering if Linux can deal with cable FAXing any better or differently than Windows?
Faxing would probably be similar.

Seems like I mentioned it before, but I couldn't find mention of it. One thing that bugs me in Linux is the fact that I haven't found an easy method to manage windows between monitors...something like Ultramon does in Windows. I don't care about a lot of it's functions, but the fact that it adds special buttons at the top of all windows, that control the window's position between monitors is something that I would definitely like to have in Suse. I know that I can drag windows around, but to do so requires finding a very tiny portion of the main header with the cursor, which I always seem to fumble with. I have Googled for something like this, but found nothing. Is there a way do it?

Something about Grub that seems odd, is that below the regular boot option for Suse, it lists Advanced Boot options for it. I would have thought that it would contain something like Failsafe or RAM or media check, as it has in the past, but all that is there is two identical listings, which only boot to Suse as the regular boot option does. Is that by design, or is Grub just fouled up?

Last edited:
Seems like I mentioned it before, but I couldn't find mention of it. One thing that bugs me in Linux is the fact that I haven't found an easy method to manage windows between monitors...something like Ultramon does in Windows. I don't care about a lot of it's functions, but the fact that it adds special buttons at the top of all windows, that control the window's position between monitors is something that I would definitely like to have in Suse. I know that I can drag windows around, but to do so requires finding a very tiny portion of the main header with the cursor, which I always seem to fumble with. I have Googled for something like this, but found nothing. Is there a way do it?

I really cant say, duel monitor support in linux is rather shaky (as most of it deals in proprietary drivers)

Something about Grub that seems odd, is that below the regular boot option for Suse, it lists Advanced Boot options for it. I would have thought that it would contain something like Failsafe or RAM or media check, as it has in the past, but all that is there is two identical listings, which only boot to Suse as the regular boot option does. Is that by design, or is Grub just fouled up?

No the other is for recovery too, it would boot into a console session

Back
Top Bottom